V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Hippo.

Please explain this in the words of an Englishman, to an Irishman.
I think all of us with EFI would like a bedtime story? (I'm intrigued! to say the least!) TIA. Dermot.

New EFI tunner by HD

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There is a lot to say. I need some time to study and experiment with the software, and there is more then a hundred pages of it.
I made some rare posts on the other place you frequent, but you should really not concern yourself with it as it does not apply to you. It only works with Delphi bikes, nothing has changed for the MM bikes.
It will be a couple of weeks until I can resume my projects and the EFI tuner is only number two on the list. Charlie is in MT and we have some machinists on vacation.

The wisdom part, forget about it until you get a Delphi bike, you are wasting your time.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HIPPO said:
The wisdom part, forget about it until you get a Delphi bike, you are wasting your time.
Planning on upgrading the bike in about 12mths or so. Delphi, if they haven't changed again by then is the way I'll be going.
Sorry about jumping the gun a little, I was reading too much into the 'aftermarket' unit that's been talked about. (If you can believe it works on both)

Ya must admit though, its causing a bit of a stir......

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The reason I buy them is because I want to see for myself what they can and can't do.
We just call it R&D and write them off.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I'm very interested too....holding off on the PCIIIr until I know more. My main concern is whether it really requires dealer install because of some legitimate tool/equipment requirement or do they just say that because they think we aren't as smart as them?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Even though I just have scratched the surface with this thing, I can guarantee you the PC for the Delphi bikes is history.

The tuner has enough diagnostic capabilities to resemble a home version of the digital technician, and the diagnostic or data mode alone is worth the price. You can read and erase codes with it, and it gives you total freedom from the dealer regardless of malfunction as you no longer need their proprietary equipment.

There is absolutely nothing that would require a dealer, it's real simple, the guy with the best engine and tuning knowledge and computer literacy will win. It doesn't matter wether you work in a boutique or a junkyard. These days ideally you need to be both an engineer and a wrench and there are very few of these people.

I have not made up my mind, but either HD let the cat out of the bag unintentionally betting most home users don't have the expertise and imagination to fully exploit the tuner, or they decided to throw the dealers a curve considering the minimal level of service that is available from many of them. They likely gave us a gift to keep us from defecting.

The tuner has a basic mode where all you do is upload a map, not unlike a reflash, and I'm willing to bet this is all that people that have it installed at a dealer will get. They will certainly not build you a custom map manually unless you pay them a fortune. Not to say that there are not good and ethical techs at dealers, I personally know 3 in Canada and maybe half a dozen in the US, but there are hordes of them that have not yet figured out how to rejet a carburetor.

The only cloud on the horizon is the rumour of yet another system that incorporates an O2 sensor, also in the $500.00 range, but there is very little known about it and initially it looks like it may have the same problem as the PC as something will have to be piggybacked to the ECM.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Am I reading correctly that the "re-flash" can be done with this tuner?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yes. There are about a dozen of the available reflashes on the software.
They can be uploaded and even modified at will. The only limitation is that it will not allow you to modify the stock flash.

You can modify most any parameter on nine different tables including such things as idle speed and rev limit.

For all practical purposes the code used by SE to create the reflash maps is hidden in the software. There is a limitation as far as how much you can modify any given parameter, but I don't yet know how much of a factor it will be.

Since we have the ability to either alter or blue print fuel pressure I feel we can go quite a way with it. Time will tell. Once the riding season slows down I intend to see what can be done with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep reading and planning. Looking for my new FLHRCI in October....mods to follow!!:D I'm not sure how quick the mods will be. Having some nerve problems that are effecting my clutch hand and a Dr. and I are going around about some surgery on my elbow. May be making mods around Christmas.:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts