V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HIPPO;

I know your probably tired of my FLHTCI 'stumble' topic and dealer will look at it July 26 at 1000 mile service, though based on my previous conversation with the tech I am not that hopeful that it will be resolved.

My bike is currently stock and I had planned on leaving it that way...

I was looking at the Screamin' Eagle Stage I Performance Kit for fuel injected twin-cam 88 touring models and wondered if between the increased breathing capacity and ECM recalibration if you felt this might be a possible solution to my problem.

Kit description says that it works well with Genuine Motor Accessories Touring Mufflers (not legal in California); would it be necessary to change to these mufflers or any other mufflers? I am not really looking for performance gains but rather a solution to my 'stumble' problem...

Thank you!

Richard H-D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It might. I would call it a 50/50 shot.
The mufflers in the kit are very restrictive, but are pretty quiet, the air intake is a good thing to have because you get away from the junk paper air filter, and the reflash might richen it up a little.

If you knew exactly where the bike is at you could make a more educated guess. Most will tell you that a stage1 flash in a stock bike will not work, but I'm not so sure. My personal bike is totally stock and just has different head gaskets, a different air cleaner element and different fuel pressure, and runs really strong for a stock bike.

Problem is you need to know where you are before you can determine what to do to get where you want to be.
Not having this info, I would say it's worth a try.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HIPPO;

Thanks for info; looking through the H-D catalog even further I see a Screamin' Eagle Big Bore Stage I Performance Kit for fuel injected twin-cam 88 touring models. While I'm not sure of the labor costs, I could get a little more performance and hopefully get rid of the stumble.

I won't do anything until H-D service looks at the bike and will post whatever they find, if anything. Without looking at the bike, they have told me that it might be something I have to live with. At that point I might want to try one of these performance kits, though after spending $21,500 I am not too happy spending even more money to try and find a fix for a factory flaw...

Richard

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks HIPPO and Kags for your input... I hope my next post on this topic will say the dealer cured the problem.

Richard H-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts