V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time HD owner; RkC.

Bought some lg. billet foot pegs with chrome rider mount kit.

Noticed the 03 RK Screaming Eagle showed the pegs mounted inside. Also seen them mounted on the outside.

Just wondered whats best/most comfortable? Also wondered what height to mount them at. I'm concerned if I mount them and tighten them and then don't like them, that I will have left permanent marks on my chrome bars.

Thanks.

cdoz

·
Registered
903 Posts
You can mount them either way. I just held my feet up there and used a little imagination. I haven't moved them so I don't know if they'll leave marks or not. You could wrap the bar with a cloth to try them out so they aren't scratched.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I've noticed that mounting hi-way pegs on the inside of the crash bars puts your legs closer together and will pull more engine heat up in your lap. Mounting them on the outside seems to be more comfortable (heat wise) in hot weather. And if it's cold weather, the wind going to blow striaght up you paints leg anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Safety dictates "inside". Comfort dictates whatever fits, and for long legged riders that may mean outside.

Short legs--inside. Long legs--outside.

Once you mount 'em, you won't take 'em off.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It's really a matter of personal preference. Mine are mounted on the outside rear edge (about 45 degrees from parallel with the bike) I've found it to be quite confortable & with the angle back from the outside edge, they're not as visually intrusive as they would be on the outside edge. Also, in that mounting location you have three forward foot positions available 1) no pegs 2) heel on floorboards, feet on peg (I find that to be really comfortable & 3) feet in the wind.

I have not removed mine so don't know about scratches, chrome is actually pretty hard stuff.

You can try 'em out on other folks bikes too if you're skittish about bolting on.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ditto to what Rodan said above. I mounted mine to give myself as many different foot positions so I can move them around to change position.

As for the safety - mount on the inside - I saw that written somewhere too. It just wasn't comfortable for me and safety wise my feet seemed to tend to get hung up in there. It was much easier, quicker --> safer for me to have them on the outside.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I agree on the outside and the three foot positions, I have to, I have lower fairings on and couldn't mount them inside. Get some help, hold the bike upright (a friend can hold it up for you), hold your feet where you feel comfortable and have someone mark the spots. If you have to do it yourself, masking tape will help prevent scratches.

Oh, and cdoz, welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have mine mounted inside , seems like less wind resistance, never noticed any heat problem, I only use them on interstates. I have the fold up Harley ones so I can get them out of the way most of the time.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Myself, I prefer them on the outside, for me anyway, it seems safer cause I can get my big ass cloggers down to the brake faster(to each his own though). I can't be without the pegs on the engine guards. I use them for all my riding,except very low speeds and poor road conditions. Once you get used to them you'll love em! I also like to let the back of the leg rest over at highway speeds.

When I demo rode the new baggers,it felt really strange not to have the highway pegs. I now have a set waiting in the garage for the new scoot if it ever gets here! They'll be one the first day the new ride makes it home.

The "tape" idea above should do the trick for you on keeping the scratchs off.

Good luck

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Mine are mounted on the outside. I agree with mister breeze that it feels weird to ride bikes without them.

wyo

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine are on the inside as the instructions showed, but I can't say they are comfortable there. Will probably try them outside in the Spring. If you use clear scotch tape when mounting the parts you can still tighten them down you won't really see the tape and will not be as apt to mar the chrome.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Rodan, I'm gonna try your setup on my RKC. Sounds about the best I've heard of. Since I have soft lowers on mine, can't mount on inside either. By the way, soft lowers have saved my legs and feet from freezing. was skeptical at first but after riding in 20 degree weather and only my hands getting cold, I was sold on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for your advice.

I went with the outside lower mount at 45 degree angle. Great advice.

I can't say I went very far down the road to try them as its -9 C up here in the great white North. Felt go though.

Thanks again for the advice.

cdoz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts