V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use that Harley Roadside Assistance program? You break down and call a number they come and pick you up and take you to the nearest HD dealer. How did it work out for you ?
I had an experience once with the AMA program but have been with the Harley program for two years now.
Curious how it worked out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bill,

in reply to your question, a couple who I rode with on our way to the Americade rally,....anyway they rode their HD full dress w/ sidecar from Florida to our meeting place in Mass., we then proceeded on a route to VT., then on to NY....when we hit Manchester VT, their drive belt grenaded. I was behind them...rain was pouring so hard it looked white!

They called their HD roadside assistance plan,....fortunately we had a voyager mini-van as a chase vehicle and it served them good refuge for comfort & warmth. They told me a wrecker was dispatched and for me to continue on.

I met up with those folks the next day, they said that it was only a 45 minute wait for a tow vehicle to show up, ...said the driver took them to a lunch place for a bite, then to Fort Anne HD in the area. The dealer had done the repair on a Sunday! They were very pleased it worked out for them so easy...of course we were fortunate to be quite close to neighboring towns, and had good cell signals for the occasion.

I say score one for the HD roadside plan.

Jimmy T

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Bill, I'm pretty sure you know about my experience, but others may not <shrug>. In any case on our Colorado trip of course we broke down in Beckley, WV on the side of I-77 I think. In any case my husband left me sitting on the side of the road with my poor bike (dead/shorted out battery) and went to call the HOG Roadside Assistance since I'd gotten it just for that trip. The first thing that made me angry was that my friggin cell phone didn't work (changed carriers when I got back tho).

Husband finally got back and said that they were looking up a tow truck company in our area and someone should be there in about 45 minutes. 1 hour later he went out and called again. They had not located a tow truck company yet but they were still looking and we had to wait. 1 hour after that a road crew worker saw us and pulled over and called us a tow truck that got there in about 15 minutes.

They towed us to the nearest hotel where I called HOG Roadside Assistance and cancelled their tow truck (which they still hadn't found yet and it had been 2.5 hours).

I won't be renewing my membership this year.
Hope this helps!
SK

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
JimmyT , Glad to hear it. My experience with MOTOW (AMA Program) was pretty similar.
Was way upstate NY when cam bearing decided to self destruct. Middle of nowhere on 17. Luck of the Irish there was a road crew working on the median. I asked if they had a radio and the guy called his off ice and asked them to call the number and give them the informatiion.
Truck showed uo within 45 minutes and took us to SouthernTier HD.
Had to go for remanufactured engine. Very sad story. Not my best trip!
So it looks like those Pickup outfits are certainly worth the cost per year.
I just renewed with Harley program and will be with them as long as I'm riding.
Sportykid, Sorry to hear about your experience. You should definetly write a letter to the Harley program about what happened.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, hello there BillC & Sporty Kid.....I don't have any input on the roadside assistance program, just wanted to say "HI", as this is my very first time on this board......lots of names here I know!!:)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
A few months back, Motorcycle Consumer News did an article on the bigger towing/emergency services. The AMA MoTow was given pretty high reviews. Some growling about the H/D program . However, if your coverage has worked for you, keep using it. FYI. The AAA (Auto Club) programs may vary from state to state??? You may have to have "extra" (i.e. like an R.V. rider) coverage on your Auto Club policy to qualify for any motorcycle coverage beyond getting some gas. My personal experience with my AMA MoTow a few years ago sold me on them. I renew every year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts