V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I agree - an '03 FXD with 6700 miles for $13.5k, vs a new '06 FXD for $12.7k?

The '03 may have extras, but the ad doesn't list any.

John

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
F&S will be the first dealer around here out of bikes, then they'll get the price for the used ones. At least that's how it's gone in the past.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GrayRider said:
F&S will be the first dealer around here out of bikes, then they'll get the price for the used ones. At least that's how it's gone in the past.
They sell new bikes at MSRP, right? Don't know why they sell used so high...well duh, because people will pay the asking price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I looked at used roadkings for the past 6 months. Most bikes I looked at were priced between 15K and 17K. I finally just went and ordered a 2006 Roadking only cost me about $1500 more. I do not understand why most sellers think they will get so much for bikes 3 to 6 years old??

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Homarr said:
I was just surfing a dealer's inventory list. Are the prices on used bike's high, or is it just me? Check it out: http://www.fshd.com/pre_owned_list.asp
Oh, just go ahead and cough up the money for that new WG and quit looking at the used stuff - you know you want to.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Somebody's buying them. Probably some poor sod who goes home and proudly proclaims that he got a used Harley 'just that day -- you know they have a two year waiting list on the new ones!'

AZJOE said:
I looked at used roadkings for the past 6 months. Most bikes I looked at were priced between 15K and 17K. I finally just went and ordered a 2006 Roadking only cost me about $1500 more. I do not understand why most sellers think they will get so much for bikes 3 to 6 years old??

·
Retired
1,834 Posts
I'm surprised used prices are still so high. It was cheaper for me to buy new two years ago. :chopper:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
People buying those are the same people saying Harleys cost 20-30k.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
i was a car salesman for several years, so let me share a little.
to get the deal and move a new unit. the dealer will many times give (show) more for the trade, knowing it will sell eventually.
so you have a customer who still owes more than the trade is worth wanting a new bike, the dealer will show payoff- knowing he will get his profits from F&I and accessories.
the trade is listed with a little markup in case a customer is fool enough to buy it at this hellacious price.
the dealer network also helps move this bike, say if dealer in texas has no more flht; he can have a used one transfered from another dealer.
lastly ebay and exporting to other countries come into play.
i had several goods laughs when i was shopping for another bike, wanted used bagger to save money, and found them higher than new.
lots of adds in the papers asking only payoff, which in many cases is thousands more than a new bike.
imagine a person who just got a big tax return, sold a vehicle for cash, or other windfall walking into a dealer and saying "i want to buy a harley" tis open season and he wants it NOW.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
Yep,
Patience is hard to muster, but the pay-off is good if you can come up with some.
I started craving a Harley mid 03. I knew the prices were high for the Anniversary models. I also heard late in the model year that the Moco was going to offer a two year warranty on the 04s, so I decided to wait.
Found a dealer that sold for MSRP, placed the order for the bike to arrive in the spring, arranged good financing (4.4%) and waited.
It was a long wait at about 5 months but I saved big by not having to pay txes and insurance on a bike that would sit in the garage all winter anyway.
Besides, I still had my other bike to ride in the meantime.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
miles to go said:
Oh, just go ahead and cough up the money for that new WG and quit looking at the used stuff - you know you want to.
Yeah yeah, quit bugging me about it!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You can find deals out there. Just look around. In my area within a 5 hr driving range I estimate there are 12-15 dealers. If you know what you want started calling to find out what they have in stock. I bought my FLHT (9 mo. old), 7000 mi. and a stage one kit, for $2000 below list.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I spent a lot of time looking....... and hanging around some of the dealers. Saw more than a few guys wanting to trade their used bikes on a "newer" or "bigger" used bike. Then (like someone else said), the dealer will make them a deal. Sometimes there are nice deals on the used bikes. You have to take a close look at the extras that the previous owner has taken a "hit" on.

I agree that the used bikes are generally high. That's why I got a new one. The dealer didn't jack up the price of his bike, and I felt that he paid a fair amount more than mine was worth. :thanks:

Of course, it was the third dealer....... the first two were not very reasonable, IMO.

·
Banned
155 Posts
I look occasionally at the prices of used Harleys and just have to laugh. You can walk into any dealer right now and find almost anything your looking for. I have since sold both of my Harleys and have switched to another manufactuer. To me there is nothing original about riding one anymore and I just don't get the same feeling I used to when I see one. Everywhere you look someone is riding a Harley. There are so many other bike manufactuers out there selling bikes for half the price of a Harley and twice as reliable. I get a kick on the weekends now because I like to go out and watch all the high paid professionals playing dress up. Please tell me why anyone would pay 13000 for a 2002 superglide. Flame on!!:boxin:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts