V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing a lot about high speed wobble, and discussing it with a fellow biker he showed me this article in Cycle World mag. has anyone tried this device seems to make sense. I have experience some wobble at about 85-90 mph when cornering. Check out this web-site?????
http://www.true-track.com/
What’s your opinion……On this product if you have tried it or know someone else who has?
Thanks for your replies…….
Sparky88{salute(

·
Registered
287 Posts
The worse chance for wobble is decelerating in a corner using the rear brake. I don't know if anything can help if you come in to a corner to hot.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
The way I look at it is I ride a bagger not a Sporty, I don't think HD built them to do 85 - 90 into a corner. I had my 05 EG Classic start a wobble once at around 85, I figured it was reminding me to slow down and not become a piece of road jerky.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
sparky88 said:
After hearing a lot about high speed wobble, and discussing it with a fellow biker he showed me this article in Cycle World mag. has anyone tried this device seems to make sense. I have experience some wobble at about 85-90 mph when cornering. Check out this web-site?????
http://www.true-track.com/
What’s your opinion……On this product if you have tried it or know someone else who has?
Thanks for your replies…….
Sparky88{salute(
I have experienced a similar wobble on my 05 Roadglide at around the 80 mph mark. This was during the 3 Flags Classic so I had lots of time to try different things.

The biggest thing I noticed is the wobble is rider induced.

What's the first thing you do if the bike starts to shake its head in a curve at 80 mph? Your arse puckers up and you stiffen up and hold on tighter, it's natural.

What I found through experimentation was, If I relaxed my shoulders and upper body and didn't push so hard on the bars the wobble instantly went away, if I tightened my grip it got worse.

I had less than 8000 miles on the bike at this time. Tire pressure was ok and tires were in good condition.

I know a guy locally that installed the True Track and he is very pleased with it. I plan on installing one this winter.

Sorry, I don't agree with you msocko3, there should be no reason why an FL can't handle corners without trying to pitch you off.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I changed from the Dunlop rear tyre (wore out) to a Continental and got a wobble at around 80+ on corners, especially bumpy or downhill corners. Tried various things including increasing tyre pressures to reduce this wobble, but never really got rid of it. The rear tyre wore out and I replaced it with a new Dunlop. Wobble gone. The Dunlops have much thicker sidewalls and that makes all the difference. The new compound is better than the old, too.

hth

Mike

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
GreatEscape said:
There are a number of informative articles on various wobbles at this site...

The tech section at HeavyDutyCycles http://www.heavydutycycles.com/techsect.htm
Good article and of course what Donnie says is true. In order to make slow speed steering easier HD decreased the rake on the FL's. At high speeds this creates very light steering on the front end.

There is no discussion about how flex in the frame would exacerbate the problem. This is where products like True Track come in, IMHO
:whistle:

·
Registered
38 Posts
While there is no doubt frame geometry has a large impact on chassis stability, the other issue with FLHT's is the rubber-mounted powertrain.
This is where the True-Track device comes in.

The True-Track helps to confine movement of the powertrain (in it's rubber mounts) to the vertical plane only. It works.

If you doubt this, take a close look at a late model, rubber-mounted Sportster. Looking at the motor mountings, you will see a link to the frame at the rear of the motor. This is the same idea (and function) as the True-Track device.

The larger question is why the MOCO does not use this solution to enhance stability in the FL touring models????

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the True Track and it made a huge differance for me on my 05 Ultra. I ride fast 80-90 mph range and corner till it touchs. I used to have Sport Bikes. It helped the High Speed Wobble for me. I can't wait to put on Metzlers and 440's. I think if you ride hard you will see a differance.

·
Registered
934 Posts
My first set of tires on my EGC this wobble would happen at 55 and above. It was a real problem. But, after my tire change it has seemed to straighten out. I put stock Dunlops on, same as what the bike came with. I do however think that Tru-Track is a good looking product, and talking to people that have it, it works very well.

darrell

·
Registered
287 Posts
Did you install the Sta-Bo?
It looks like it replaces the rubber mounts with hard plastic ones. Seems to me they would be subject to cracking from stress.

·
Registered
287 Posts
"It is important to note that Delrin, while being strong mechanically, cannot tolerate to be in the presence of acidic or basic solutions for long periods of time, as the polymer will degrade."

Oil, gasoline, road salt?

·
Registered
38 Posts
shoveler said:
Did you install the Sta-Bo?
It looks like it replaces the rubber mounts with hard plastic ones. Seems to me they would be subject to cracking from stress.
Expect to feel more vibration from the motor if you use this product.

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
shoveler said:
"It is important to note that Delrin, while being strong mechanically, cannot tolerate to be in the presence of acidic or basic solutions for long periods of time, as the polymer will degrade."

Oil, gasoline, road salt?
Oil, gasoline, and road salt are neutral.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I experienced it moderatly in the curves, on my 04 Screamin Eagle Electra Glide prior to my accident. After my accident, among other things, they had to replace my frame. Now I can ride as fast as I dare in the curves and there isn't any wobble at all.:huh: So it's not the fairing that I (and a couple other friends who ride baggers and don't have the wobble) know for sure. It's definately in the suspension somewhere.

·
Registered
287 Posts
<<Now I can ride as fast as I dare in the curves and there isn't any wobble at all.>>

Maybe you don't dare as much as before the accident. ;)
Seriously, hope you weren't hurt too bad.
I think anything that would stop swing arm lateral movement would have to help prevent wobble.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I've never experienced any wobble on either my Ultra or my '05 XL 1200. I've had both to 110 mph in a straight line. Only time the Ultra wobbles is when I hit a 'tar snake' in a curve on a hot sunny day. It's true the sportster has a
'stabilizing link' bolted to the frame and motor under the swingarm but it's waaaaaaaaay small compared to the 'True Track'. I had problems with cornering and strange vibrations when I tried running tires other than Dunlops.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
I've never experienced any wobble on either my Ultra or my '05 XL 1200. I've had both to 110 mph in a straight line. Only time the Ultra wobbles is when I hit a 'tar snake' in a curve on a hot sunny day. It's true the sportster has a
'stabilizing link' bolted to the frame and motor under the swingarm but it's waaaaaaaaay small compared to the 'True Track'. I had problems with cornering and strange vibrations when I tried running tires other than Dunlops.
The wobble occurs in curves.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts