V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 01 Superglide I get a shake in the frontend above 90 mph. The handling is fine at lower speeds. I had my dealership check the neck bearings,they said they were fine.I've tried different tire pressures.I run 40psi front and rear now,which seemed to lessen the problem. Do I need a steering stabilizer like I've seen on sport bikes? Does it have anything to do with only having 28 degrees of rake?I don't know what the trail is. Anyone else with similar problems? Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Well, I'm not a Dyna guy, but used to have one a long time ago.

A shake when riding in a straight line is not normal, and "shake" can mean a lot of things, one would get a better idea by feeling it. Amplitude and frequency of an abnormal motion can sometimes point you in one direction or the other. See if it changes by riding the same speed in different gears, for example.

Without further info, and considering that you say changing tire pressures has an effect, one would have to look real closely at the tires.
Don't forget the rear one.
Any type of runout in the tires or wheels, wheel balance, spokes not tight if it has spokes, bearing end play, alignment, engine mount or link problems, swingarm bearing/cleveblock/pivotshaft worn or loose, among other things, including when last you changed fork oil can be the cause or a contributing factor. All of these things should be systematically checked.

And get a second opinion on the neck bearings.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no problems at normal speeds.It is more like a mild tank slapper at full throttle when at 100 mph or a little over.Much worse with the windshield on. Then again maybe someone is trying to tell me something.lol !!! Thanks for the help.:D

·
Still looking for my mind
176 Posts
I would check the end play on the front and rear wheels. You can jack the bike up and place one hand on the top and bottom, and try to twist the wheel. You shouldn't really feel any movement, if you detect any movement, you need to check with a dial gauge, the service limit is .002, any more than that requires the bearings be replaced. Other possibilities, tire out of balance, bend rim, rim not true, flat spot on tire, tire out of round.

Good Luck

Merry Christmas

Don

·
Registered
362 Posts
bub said:
Does it have anything to do with only having 28 degrees of rake?
My bike has 21 degrees of rake :eek: It exhibits no shake or instability. I wouldn't think the geometery is the problem. Make sure your not hanging on too tight. No death grip. :)

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
How is your front tire?...cupping can cause the shake. OTOH, Harley recommends not riding solo above 90 mph. Now we know why I guess. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey bub, I use to think there was somthing wrong with my bike to. But I've owned three different types of harleys 2003 road king 2004 duece 2005 ultra and they all shake above 100 mph. There is a web site called ( ride str8 ) They can fix this problem for about $ 300 to $ 400. Barry

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Neither of mine shake

'03 Ultra and '05 XL1200 and neither have any shake or vibrations at 110 mph.
The Ultra is stretched out at that speed and the sporty has just shifted into 5th gear 5 mph below that. Ultra has 32,500 miles and the sporty, 10,500.

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
I had a similar issue with my '02 FXDL. I got a bit of a wobble/shake in my front end at about 105 MPH. I had switched to using Metzler ME880 tires but kept using H-D's recommended pressures which caused my front tire to get a funny wear pattern. I actually replaced the rear tire due to wear & just started using 38 psi in the front & it took care of my problem.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Could be the front tire, maybe not. My bet is on the steering neck bearings. Does it get worse on deceleration? Check the neck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts