V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 FHLTCU, At speeds above 50mph, in open air, the bike seems to wobble from side to side, like when your riding behind a Semi in the wind buffer zone. This just started after I found a bad wheel bearing and replaced both tires. prior to this, even though it had a bad bearing, it was rock solid on the road.

I'm looking for some help with ideas on possible problems/fixes.

Here's what's been done recently.

Found a bad wheel bearing. Replaced wheel bearing and race, packed bearings, and set end play to .003" by changing spacers.

I figured I need a new rear tire, and the front was 5 years old, so I went ahead and installed new rear and front tires and had them speed balanced by the local dealer.

I checked rear end bearing and play, during reassembly no problem.

Any ideas......

Thanks, Dean

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
deansutter said:
I figured I need a new rear tire, and the front was 5 years old, so I went ahead and installed new rear and front tires and had them speed balanced by the local dealer.

5 years old? :eek:

Probably not, but do you by any chance have laced wheels?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Considering it started after the tire replacement I would look first at alignment and a possible internal defect on one of the tires.
Also make sure the tightening secuence on the front axle was followed so as not to bind the fork legs.
How much did you have to shim the new bearing anyway. I would recheck the end play and make sure the shoulde washer is properly oriented. If the shimming was significant the new inner race may not have bottomed all the way and moved after riding the bike.

Other items to check

Replace fork oil and make sure it is equal on both legs.
Swingarm pivot shaft and cleveblocks.
Engine links, upper and lower for wear.
Front motor mount. They crack and at times it is almost impossible to see without lifting the engine weight off them.
Neck bearing preload.

More often then not instability comes from the rear of the bike.
Laced wheel can be a problem, but it usually is real obvious as in broken or loose spokes and/or runout.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hippo, any chance of it being improperly balanced or mis-seated tire?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Possible but unlikely, if a tire is not seated properly it would be real obvious just by looking at it, and balance may cause a vibration at higher speeds but it would be a real stretch to describe it as a wobble.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, Thanks for the input. Here's some more info. They are aluminum wheels, not laced. I checked the tires for proper seating prior to installation and they looked OK. I also static tested the speed balance, that was OK too.

I adjusting the run out, because of the bad bearing, there was .158 runout initially. I suspect whatever I am experiencing now was masked by the loose front wheel. I replaced boht bearings and seats. I needed to remove a .012 washer, and install a thinner one to get within spec's of .003, and I know the washer is properly oriented.

I will check the other items Hippo suggests. Besides draining and refilling fork oil, is there way to check level?

Also, fork bearing preload - Should I follow manual procedure or is there a better tes/way?

I also noticed last night, if you stand over the bike, and make quick short left/right movement of the bars, ithe feels like the bike is wiggling side to side, opposite movement of the bars. This sense is similar to when I was a kid and had loose spokes on my sting ray. I have no other flht to try this to see if this is normal or not. Anyone willing to shake, rattle and see if thiers rolls?

Thanks, Dean.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I will check the other items Hippo suggests. Besides draining and refilling fork oil, is there way to check level?

No.

Also, fork bearing preload - Should I follow manual procedure or is there a better tes/way?

The factory fallaway method is a clusterfu(k and you really would need to remove the fairing and a bunch of other stuff for it to be halfway accurate unless you have a feel for what they do.
If you put the bike on a lift and the steering moves with total and absolute smoothness from stop to stop, and if you grab the front wheel and attempt to lift and push the bike and there is absolutely no movement in the steering stem you should be close enough.

I also noticed last night

Hard to think oneself into this one but it could well be a normal feeling as you are now reaching, it is sort of normal for the bike to move from side to side when you make steering inputs with the wheel not rolling, but don't take my word for it.

I still think you missed something simple.
How far is the rear axle nut from the cotter pin hole? is there any distance that wasn't there before ie the pin is somewhat outside of the recesses in the castle nut?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The No means unless you want to disassemble half the bike as there is a way, but it is much easier just to change it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything on the rear axle was reinstalled in same condition/location as prior to rear wheel removal.

Assuming I get time this weekend, I will jack it up, test fork play, rear wheel end play, shaft movement etc.

Thanks, I keep you posted on anything I find.

Dean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found similar symptoms when the tire shop didn't re-use the same rear axle end spacers between sprocket, hub and swingarm, and disk rotor, hub & swingarm on other side. I had been useing, giving me back different length axle spacers.

Your alignement may be different now, too - rear wheel angle in swingarm. The motor/driveline alignment doesn't seem like it could have chamged, but have read were many were misaligned from the factory. Have you found this too, Hippo?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Cruzencoach for the input. I did the work though, and I know I reassembled the rear axle as it was taken appart. I will check alignment.

Dean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts