V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a freind that has a high pitch squeal in his bike....Of course it dose not do it all the time....you have to ride it a good ten miles or so be for it starts....I suggest it could be his mufflers sqeaking...but he has shut the motor off and it still was there...I suggest it could be his rottors, but he said he has applide the brakes , but it was still there...He thinks it is in the bearing that goes on the main drive gear...which in turn , the final drive belt sprocket is on...Any way ,he said you can hear the noise above a straight pipe running bike....the year is a 2002 , FLHTC model...any help sure would be appreciated....Thanks..Hog :cool:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sort of doubt it, but anything is possible.

When I hear squeal the first thing that comes to mind is belt, they usually are not that loud but you never know.

If the belt were too tight, they do get tighter with temperature, it might be putting too much strain on the bearing you mention as well as the wheel bearings. You could also have him let the bike roll at speed while in gear with the clutch disengaged and the engine off, and this would eliminate the primary and the clutch basket bearing from the equation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
High pitch squeal

Thanks Hippo, for the info....I will pass it on to my friend.....I never thought about the belt...mine has done that , but not at that ratio.....Thanks again....Hog :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts