V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Road King w/65k miles. At about 40k the original alternotor burned out while on the road. Found a dealer who replaced it (Chrismas eve as i recall) but they didn't have the precese replacement. Not sure what they replaced it with, but have had problems ever since whem i load every on (i.e. driving lights, electric heat, etc).

I am planning on adding a sidecar, which will mean for elctric gizmos (light, sockets, etc), and am tired of worrying about it.

Is there a high output HD alternator which would fit on a 2002 RK, which will handle all the extra crap?

thx, greg

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I beleive the high output model on the police bikes will work just fine. Not sure of its output, but I believe it is rated above the stock unit.
You will need to replace the stator and rotor and voltage regulator to upgrade the system.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
There is a 45 amp alternator that is stock on the ultra. It should swap into the RK. There is an upgrade that is available to do just that. And the stator in the 38amp and 45 amp is the same. The rotor for the 45amp has more magnets and requires a special tool to put it on and take it off. It has much stronger magnets and will take off a finger tip if not assembled right.

I upgraded my 99 classic last year with the 45amp kit.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I think thats just what i need.

greg

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm considering a three phase electrical system on my 99 flhtci any one have any experience with this i'm interested in your opinion

http://www.steelthundercc.com/chargingsystems.html

for those interested
Early TC88 Touring Stator
If you have a fuel injected touring or police model made between 1999 and Jan. 2001 beware. If your charging system hasn't gone belly up, it may sooner than you expect. The problem is that the stator used is for a 38 amp system, these bikes have a 45 amp system. How'd they do that? They put a beefier rotor with stronger magnets over the same stator used on both the 38 and 45 amp systems. The inevitable result is higher temperatures produced by the higher output which will kill the windings on the stator.
Harley is well aware of this problem since they put out a new upgraded stator (part #29987-99A) and Service Bulletin M-1111 explaining the problem. No there's no recall on this but if you have to change your stator, make sure you keep all your receipts just in case. What's worse is that H-D is still selling a kit to convert the 38 amp to the 45 amp with, you guessed it, the bigger rotor while you re-use the inadequate stator.

The so-called "New & Improved" stator... It appears to have thicker wire and a neater job on the windings. Replacing the stator isn't hard if you follow the repair manual and have the right tools.

You will also need to replace your Main circuit breaker, it is a 40 amp in these models, and when upgrading your stator to a 45 amp system will cause an open circuit at some point causing a "quit while riding" situation. The main breaker needs to be upgraded to a 50 amp.

The three service bulletins are M-1111 and M-1151, M1151-A

1 - 5 of 5 Posts