V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see on the Harley website that the 2016 Dynas and Softails all have High Output 103 engines. In 2015 only the touring bikes had them.

What makes an engine "High Output"? Is it just a low rpm torque cam or it is something more like better heads or higher compression?

What upgrades besides more displacement do the CVO Screaming Eagle 110 engines have?

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
It's a high "output" of marketing slogans! :coffee:

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Woohoo!!! Going to need a neck brace to prevent whiplash injuries from all that output. Lol seriously if you want high output, buy the model you want and build the engine, that's the only way to get high output.
I have a high output S&S 113, ipi knew it didn't have enough for me when I got it, I opened the box, took it apart, modified it, put it back together and then put it on the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
HO engines are fitted with a new cam similar to a 255 and a new more efficient air box. My 2015 RK has plenty of power at all RPM ranges, and I have no desire to modify the engine except for the mufflers and the stage 1 filter/remap. It runs great, and I'm leaving it alone.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
HO engines are fitted with a new cam similar to a 255 and a new more efficient air box. My 2015 RK has plenty of power at all RPM ranges, and I have no desire to modify the engine except for the mufflers and the stage 1 filter/remap. It runs great, and I'm leaving it alone.
Same with my 2016 Ultra Low. I'm not even changing the mufflers. I get great MPG, Rocket like power 2 up and loaded down. Best Harley I've ever owned. If I want to chip away at the MPG and reliability I'll start modifying the motor.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
So is there a tq/hp difference between the older 103's like 2011/2012, and new ones? Is the new or latest 103 a new and improved version...

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Between the slightly higher torque factor at lower rpm's, combined with the gearing, it gives the seat of the pants dyno a feeling of more power and acceleration. I have ridden quite a few of the newer 103 and 110 engines, just more of the same to me.
I love harleys, won't ride anything else, sometimes I think I'm a mental case, spending so much cash for an underpowered machine, that needs engine work, right out of the box to please my output needs, but it has always been that way.
My favorite harley, doesn't have 1 harley component in the entire drive line, it never needs attention, and is like being on a rocket sled, and never stops acceleration until it reaches the Rev limiter in high gear, the limiter is set at 6500. So, my perfect harley has the harley chassis and style, but a much more powerful and reliable drive train. I'm not knocking harleys, just calling it as I see it.
If you are happy with your new factory bike, I'm happy for you, I have higher expectations, and the ability to make the bike what it should have been.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,452 Posts
So is there a tq/hp difference between the older 103's like 2011/2012, and new ones? Is the new or latest 103 a new and improved version...

in 2015 the dyna with 103 had 98.8 ft-lb torque at 3500 rpm
the 2016 high output has 102 ft-lb torque at 3000 rpm
according to the HD website
But those numbers are at the crank. The 2011 103 also made 102 ft-lb (in stock form) according to HD's literature.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
But those numbers are at the crank. The 2011 103 also made 102 ft-lb (in stock form) according to HD's literature.
They always are when the manufacturer is making the call. It's also an "average", or supposed to be an average. I'm sure HD is completely honest and doesn't use the "highest" number, but actually does an average! :whistle:

In any case, HD tolerances on the big twins is higher than most other manufacturers. I've heard as high as 7-8%. Meaning some of the 103"s can possibly see only 90some ft.Lbs. With up to a 20% loss in the transfer, that is 72# at the wheel at best. Some obviously will have more.

·
Banned
17,238 Posts
all I know is that there is no longer a rational reason to spend on anything over stage 1. I spent many thousands $ on my 2002 Dyna to get to where the 2015 RK comes stock.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
all I know is that there is no longer a rational reason to spend on anything over stage 1. I spent many thousands $ on my 2002 Dyna to get to where the 2015 RK comes stock.
13 years later? One would hope so.

·
Banned
247 Posts
A Rocket to one man is a slug to another.
I have not ever seen a stock Harley rocket....

1 - 20 of 105 Posts