V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EFI Experts, PHDs, drag racing gurus, and rocket scientists, please weigh in:

I am running 2007 Fatboy with 10.8:1 compression on a 103B motor.
The best pump gas available in my area 91 octane.

1. What can be done to increase the octane level of the available fuel that does not damage the EFI or motor (octane booster, fuel additive, fuel mix) ?

2. Is aviation gas (100 octane) or racing gas (103 octane) which contain lead in the fuel, OK to use with 2007 EFI and O2 sensors (non-catalyst mufflers) ?

3. Will lead in the gas damage the HD OEM O2 sensors ?

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
pinchi1 said:
EFI Experts, PHDs, drag racing gurus, and rocket scientists, please weigh in:

I am running 2007 Fatboy with 10.8:1 compression on a 103B motor.
The best pump gas available in my area 91 octane.

1. What can be done to increase the octane level of the available fuel that does not damage the EFI or motor (octane booster, fuel additive, fuel mix) ?

2. Is aviation gas (100 octane) or racing gas (103 octane) which contain lead in the fuel, OK to use with 2007 EFI and O2 sensors (non-catalyst mufflers) ?

3. Will lead in the gas damage the HD OEM O2 sensors ?
The O2 sensors will last about 2 tanks full before they sh!t the bed. You must run unleaded race gas. Do NOT run AvGas.

You would be better served to get your bike tuned to run on 91 pump gas.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Ok, it would be best to know the true calculated compression(measured and calculated out for the total true number0 many time what we think we have is really a estimated ratio.

With that said, I will ASSUME we do have 10.8:1.
There are things you can do to help this engine out, Oil coolers, and a Parade fan to keeping the peak temps under control, using Chevron or other Top Tear fuels will help to make sure you have the octane you paid for, and then, you need to have a dyno tune done to set the ignition curve to prevent pinging.

If all else fails, and I ASSUME you are using the .030 head gaskets, using the stock one will drop the compression to ABOUT 10.3:1.

If you have shaved the heads to get the compression, and you still have too much, a cam with more overlap can help lower the compression, best to have a competent engine builder help you with this step if needed.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Fuel Additives

We have used Super 104 Octane Booster before. Seems to work, but none of that stuff is a magic wand.
Have heard good about the Lucas stuff.
Used to be able to pull up to the pumps about 12 miles from here and get 110.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
i use a mix of vp red and 93 octane in my snowmobile when i spray it with nitrous for safety. the red does have lead, but vp makes many different fuels including unleaded fuels and it wouldn't suprize me if they have an unleaded similar to the red which i think is around 100 octane.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts