V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
According to thunder max, the idle should be set around 975-1000. My understanding for the higher idle is to maintan oil pressure. If i am wrong about this someone please let us know.

jim

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I'm with you!! First thing I did on my 2000 RK. Then the dealers said we gotta fix your idle, it's too low. I put it right where I wanted it, and it sounded great. Right around 825-850 was perfect. No hesitation, no problems at all. BUT... that was '00. Don't think it can be done with the new ones.

EDIT: I was told it needed to be high to keep the battery charged during prolonged periods of idle (like parade duty).

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Stock idle is 1000 RPM at operating temperature.
Idle can be dropped with the use of SERT, not sure if the T/max can do the same.
I run my 96ci with Andrews 55 cams at 900rpm, sounds sweet. Don't think I would go any lower though.

·
Registered
621 Posts
stix68 said:
Stock idle is 1000 RPM at operating temperature.
Idle can be dropped with the use of SERT, not sure if the T/max can do the same.
I run my 96ci with Andrews 55 cams at 900rpm, sounds sweet. Don't think I would go any lower though.
Yep, you can set the rpm with the T-max as well. I have mine set at 976 warmed up and down to 800 when above 317 head temp. My cold idle is 1280.

Main thing is to make sure the charging system is able to maintain the battery voltage at lower idle.

Regards,
NC

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You need a certain amount for oil pressue. Be careful. Myself I would risk anything, just so you can sound cool at idle.

But a big cam, atleast then you would have a benifit.

You want it to sound like a shovel, sell it and buy a shovel. Admit to yourself what ya got.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts