V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Open or covered? Thats the question? Does the rain effect the open filters?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Happy New Year!!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
FLHRCIPA said:
Open or covered? Thats the question? Does the rain effect the open filters?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Happy New Year!!
I am running the Wood K325 with just a insert that I made myself due to the 8" size..but I run it open and the rain has not had any negative effect as of yet..now as a disclaimer I do live in San Diego so rain is not something I have to deal with very often, also you must make sure the filter you are running is something like K&N not a paper element.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
As with any engine, if you get caught in a big rain storm you can easily flood the engine with a covered or uncovered filter. If you are only a fair weather rider, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you sometimes get caught in a rain storm on a long ride etc, then I would...

I personaly haven't seen any data showing that an open element is better flowing then a covered one. Its not really something a dyno would show because when the bike isn't moving there is no forced air flow over the filter. The engine just sucks in what air it needs. A true test can only be done on a track/open road.

Ultimately, it seems to be an asthetics thing, not a performance thing. If you think about it, a covered element will be able to direct the air into the filter, while an open one does not. A covered filter can help prevent air from going in one side of the filter and right back out the other. Obviously an open filter has no way to prevent this due to their round shape. Also a cover will prevent some (not all) rain/water from getting into the engine. And the cover does help protect the filter element from getting damaged from rocks/bugs/kids with little fingers etc...

Good luck...

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I run mine open, Been caught in one pretty good rain storm, don't think it hurt anything but besides wishing to get home (it was dark and cold and raining real hard and I was two hours from home, rained the whole way!), I was wishing I was packing a A/C cover. I think it runs a little better open but have no evidence to back this up. I think it looks awesome but that's subjective. Think I'll pack a A/C cover from now on though on trips, just in case. You'll hear some different noises with it open, I hear a little more of what's going on inside than with a cover on.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
i run mine open witht the old style K+N filter. I ditto alderx's comments exactly.....I feel a little more seat o pants dyno, but no proof of it. I also do put the stock football cover on it it is calling for rain or on an extended trip..(my avatar is old pic)The nice intake noice is noticeable but i kind of like it. I too love the looks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
adlerx said:
I run mine open, Been caught in one pretty good rain storm, don't think it hurt anything but besides wishing to get home (it was dark and cold and raining real hard and I was two hours from home, rained the whole way!), I was wishing I was packing a A/C cover. I think it runs a little better open but have no evidence to back this up. I think it looks awesome but that's subjective. Think I'll pack a A/C cover from now on though on trips, just in case. You'll hear some different noises with it open, I hear a little more of what's going on inside than with a cover on.
What kind of cover whould you use? Seems that any kind of cloth would just aggravate any moisture problem. I'm thinking maybe a shower cap just to use overnight in case of rain or dew.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
thats what i used when i was in D.C. last year when i had to leave the bike outside overnight..........worked perfectly.....

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Shower cap would work when you have to leave the bike out overnight (due, rain etc). But will, obviously, not help when you have to run the bike when its raining.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
revperf said:

Really nice covers, hope they put up a few details, in particular, the bit about the internal velocity stack as this really does effect bottom end power.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check out wimmer.com some of their hi-flow intakes have an aluminized filter that is water repellent. I've not had any problems in rain yet with their forward intake. Enough water can drown about any filter, kinda depends on what weather you ride in a majority of the time as to what filter setup is best for you.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have run my bike in pouring rain,{open filter }so much that the water was dripping out of the bottom of the air cleaner and my boots were full ! Not one problem with the motor. Never missed a beat. WW2 airplanes used to inject water into the motors.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
When I was a kid I had read about that WWII water injection on the plane engines, too. Tried it with my ol' man's 56 Chevy Nomad, but it didn't seem to work. At least I don't think so. Pretty sure I tried to "inject" it throught the gas tank. I have very little memory of that day after Pop got home!!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Got to say I have run with just a filter in heavy down pours as well without missing a beat. Oil impregnated air filters stop water entering carb of any size that would hurt engine..............

As GRock stated, water injection (fine spray) was a bit of a pre-cursor to fuel injection in the 60`s/70`s/80`s.........cools the intake charge, creating a denser mix for more power.

When are you going to post that magnificent dyno run GRock...........sort of hangin to see that juicy number!!

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
460 Posts
revperf said:
The Two Bit Chopper filter looks similar to the BC Gerolamy Overflow filter which is not made by K&N but looks similar to their extream filter line for cars. Flow numbers for both the Overflow and the 2Bit read the same. Makes you wonder if the 2Bit while looking way cooler isn't giving up some of it's flow with all that cool shinny chrome designs covering the top. May be that it's at least 1/4" above the filter and not down on it. THe BC is $140.00 dollars VS the high dollar 2Bit ones.

http://www.bcheads.com/new.htm

Now even with all that 800 cfm of flow it still will reduce head air flow when installed on heads ported to flow a 113 SE. That poor SE filter looks like it could have stood a good cleaning but even that wouldn't have helped the flow lost that much. The guy that did this also tried a Wood 3.25" tall filter element and this was his comment about it comparied to the Over flow. Quote "I also tried the Wood's filter that's on Matt's, now Shaggy's, bike and it worked almost as good. It's the biggest one Woods offers."unQuote. Up until this build the guy had always used the Wood 3.25 filter on builds.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hello Turbotc...........a belated merry xmas and a happy new year to you buddy!

Nice shots of the flow job.............do you have any results with the t.bodies, like stock flow, and bored body flow numbers etc. and can you advise how long the T/Body is out to where the A/C bolts on?

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ozzie In Arabia said:
Hello Turbotc...........a belated merry xmas and a happy new year to you buddy!

Nice shots of the flow job.............do you have any results with the t.bodies, like stock flow, and bored body flow numbers etc. and can you advise how long the T/Body is out to where the A/C bolts on?

All the best, Ozzie
Oz,

Not really into FI. Carb man. Below is the only info I've come across on flow of modified TB Vs 57MM TB on this build. Do not know the size the modified stock TB was bored to. The build is/was done by Bishop's Performance using customer furnished parts. No final numbers as engine is still in break-in and weather is not co-operating in MI.

Here is a test of mofided stock throttle body compaired to a 57MM With tester's comments.
Quote "Without doing any clean-up, the new throttle body is flowing 9 cfm more than the modified stock one." Unquote"

Comparison of TB's.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Thanks for that info anyway bro, have good, safe New Year, all the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
541 Posts
I spent the big $$ for a D&M Custom cone style filter to help achieve the look I was after. Disappointed that in a tech article I read, (AC CFM flow comparasiopns), the D&M only flowed 20% better than stock HD. I really feel a noticable difference between my SE open K&N, (faster more responsive), than the D&M. The open version of the SE/K&N put up some pretty impressive numbers. Other than having to worry about the moisture, I'm sure I'm going back to the SE style filter after the BB install. I'm primarily a fair weather rider, so I don't have to start looking for a shower cap, right away.. LOL...
DLR

1 - 20 of 29 Posts