V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

It is raining a LOT here in Brazil and I'm pissed that I can't ride this saturday so I was thinking in work in my bike when this idea came in my mind: Is it possible to run the electrical cables inside the handlebars so it will not be visible? My bike is a 02 Heritage.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ricardo

FLSTC - Brazil

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I had it done on mine, however, i got new "chubby" bars (1 &1/4") so I think it may have been easier. Also, some bars have holes already there for the wires. Pretty sure its possible with any bars, just need fish line of some sort to pull the wires through. (keep in mind I did NOT do mine myself, so it was quite easy).

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I also have the "chubby" bars on mine. They are pre-drilled for the wiring harnesses. If you have the stock bars, you will have to drill them out yourself as they do not have holes. Make sure your edges are not sharp after drilling because vibrations on the sharp edges will chew through your wires causing a disaster. . I would suggest that you use a rubber grommet in the holes that you drill out for extra protection. To do the job neatly you will need to remove your dash (guys correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm not sure if the 02's have a one piece tank and where the wires are) and remove each wire from the connector so you can fish them though the bars. After you fish the wires through the bars, place each wire back in the proper positon on the connector and reconnect the connectores. Test all switches before putting the dash back on to make sure you have it wired correctly. A service manual will come in real handy for this.

Or you can take the cheap way out and splice the wires. I do not recommend this, unless you have a good soldering iron and heat shink tubing to protect the splices.

Jockeyshift

1 - 3 of 3 Posts