V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my new build and my decision not to go with compression releases, I think it's time to think about a Hi-Torque starter. (Mine has 43k miles on it).

Any recommendations for one?

Regards,
NC

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I have the High Torque starter from Harley. Oddly, they both use the same lame starter clutch!! Get a heavy duty clutch and put it in before you install the starter. Ask me how I know!!

OK, I'll tell ya. I ran 10:1 and WITH compression releases I ate starter rings, pinion gears and clutches. (This with HD's hi tq starter) I put in beefy starter ring and pinion (I think its a 89/9 gear? If not that, then close) and a heavy duty clutch. Problems gone!!!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
After 6 months with the stock starter , I moved to the HD 1.4kw unit , I too had the clutch kit . It worked out quite well , running 10.2:1

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
On A RK anyway the biggest you can use is a 1.4kw,because of the oil filler pipe.My Harley 1.4 with stock clutch on a 124" no problems at all 5 yrs.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Starters

We only use Tech-Cycle Starters. Made in the USA, unlike most others. Link from our site.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hillsidecycle.com said:
We only use Tech-Cycle Starters. Made in the USA, unlike most others. Link from our site.
Scott, T-Man told me the same thing; I just have never heard of them before. A lot of folks are recommending the All Balls starter and thoughts on how it compares to the Tech-Cycle Starters?

Regards,
NC

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Starter

nc-renegade said:
Scott, T-Man told me the same thing; I just have never heard of them before. A lot of folks are recommending the All Balls starter and thoughts on how it compares to the Tech-Cycle Starters?

Regards,
NC
We would go with the Tech Cycle units.
Tougher than tough. Iron clad warranty.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
nc-renegade said:
With my new build and my decision not to go with compression releases, I think it's time to think about a Hi-Torque starter. (Mine has 43k miles on it).

Any recommendations for one?

Regards,
NC
I ended up going with a Terry Components 1.8KW starter. A couple of times I forgot to hit the compression releases and it didn't seem to matter. Cranked that big 124" with 10.6-1 compression with no problem at all. The most amazing thing is ... I still have the stock Harley battery. I figured that by now I would have needed to go to an Odessey or some other more powerful battery.

Whatever you do ... get the bigger battery cables ... They are about $35 from the Custom Chrome Catalogue I also went with different Ring and jackshaft gears. think it is an 84 tooth set, but need to check on that.

Total cost for the starter, cables and gears was about $450.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thundercatken said:
Whatever you do ... get the bigger battery cables ... They are about $35 from the Custom Chrome Catalogue I also went with different Ring and jackshaft gears. think it is an 84 tooth set, but need to check on that.

Total cost for the starter, cables and gears was about $450.
Thanks! Good advice on the cables too...I have already ordered some.

Regards,
NC

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
yaaaa

We would go with the Tech Cycle units.
Tougher than tough. Iron clad warranty.
ordered one of the compact starters today -have a 02 flhr starting to act up -:coffee:

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
Thanks! Good advice on the cables too...I have already ordered some.

Regards,
NC

Sumax makes a great set of cables for your bike... Not cheap but they work...

·
GoFast!
263 Posts
is there anything wrong with welding cable ? its tough and flexible -costs less -tin the ends and fill cable end with solder then install cable while it is hot
Solder is a no no with high current connections. Should your ends ever get loose or dirty and start dropping a voltage, say goodbye to that solder.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
do you mean if it gets loose it will build up heat and melt solder? iv seen a lot of factory cables soldered from the factory in commercial applications -a lot of ready made battery cables for cars are soldered -iv made cables and used them for flexible handles for pretty heavy items just playing around with them -never had one break -do you have any examples -not arguing just sharing my experiences

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
A properly-crimped connection is superior to soldered when discussing power terminations. Soldering reduces the amount of surface area on the stranded wire. Electrons flow on the surface of the strands, not down the center. If the surface area is reduced then the resistance of the connection is higher.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
A properly-crimped connection is superior to soldered when discussing power terminations. Soldering reduces the amount of surface area on the stranded wire. Electrons flow on the surface of the strands, not down the center. If the surface area is reduced then the resistance of the connection is higher.
@gree: Many of my friends are electricians by trade and they have told me this.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
@gree: Many of my friends are electricians by trade and they have told me this.

Correct and that's why they don't solder wiring in home's or commercial buildings...

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
ok then

ok i didnt know that -im not to old to learn thanks :coffee:

·
Registered
938 Posts
just ugraded with an all balls 1.6 kw, used there cables and a new battery-it was time. the 12.5-1 107 starts without my compression releases, prolly a little hard on the battery so i'll be using them. i know there 1.7 starts my friends 14-1 124 without too much trouble, that starter is no bigger than a stock hd, but requires a good battery. both have been very nice craftsmanship look very nice.
i got a 1.8 spike i'll sell reasonable if interested. i think you can get a spacer for the oil fill?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts