V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Managed to blow the head gasket. Openned the engine - the lifter broke and a piece of it apparently damaged the oil pump. I had stock pump and Baisley spring installed. The mechanic suggests that I get some hi-perf oil pump and install S&S breather for my114" engine. Appreciate any thoughts?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kari the Finn said:
Please note that Feuling oil pump and S&S reed valve don't like each other and that this combination have produced wet sumping problems.
Thanks guys. So what's the solution?

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
nmandic said:
Find out what killed the lifter in the first place. What blew out the hg?
After that would be my starting point for pump selection. Or did I miss something?

·
Registered
136 Posts
nmandic said:
I used Feuling pump and lifters in my S&S 124" engine. I did not install the reed valve at all. This advise came from Ken of Black Hills Custom Parts. He had been battling this wet sumping problem on his buddy's bike and tossing the reed valve was the solution.

EDIT: This is not the solution to your current engine problem - just describing the pump/reed valve combination.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you are going to use the Feuling oil pump, you may want to consider using the Feuling cam plate also. The Feuling cam plate is dsigned to flow the extra oil the Feuling pump supplys. The oil passages/half moons that surround the hole where the pinion shaft goes through are over 1/3 bigger then the stock plate or the Delkron. Allowing more oil to flow. Some users are saying oil temps are down 10 to 15 degrees. Worth a look.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Kari the Finn said:
I used Feuling pump and lifters in my S&S 124" engine. I did not install the reed valve at all. This advise came from Ken of Black Hills Custom Parts. He had been battling this wet sumping problem on his buddy's bike and tossing the reed valve was the solution.

EDIT: This is not the solution to your current engine problem - just describing the pump/reed valve combination.

I'm not trying to sound stupid, but what is wet sumping? When I had my engine done , the builder did put in the valve.I just want to know what to watch for.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
kgoose said:
If you are going to use the Feuling oil pump, you may want to consider using the Feuling cam plate also.
Use Feuling lifters as well. :)

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
What is wet sumping? I envy you so. Do a google on it or "Puking oil" or "oil coming from the air cleaner" It's not an easy problem to fix, many have tried and many have been successful to but no one I've read or spoken with has a single answer that will fix it every time. Mine is "nearly" fixed, it just heaves a little now and then to keep me looking. Here's hoping you never have to deal with it first hand.
-j

·
Registered
136 Posts
slime said:
I'm not trying to sound stupid, but what is wet sumping? When I had my engine done , the builder did put in the valve.I just want to know what to watch for.
Excess oil remaining in crankcase causing crankshaft to "slice" through puddle of oil. I recall Ken mentioning Mike's engine had 32 oz of oil in the crankcase at worst - this was with combo of Feuling pump and S&S reed valve. Wet sumping robs lots of horses and increases engine temp unnecessarily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts