V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am new here and a youngin' just turned 21.

I am very interested in getting a new Fat Boy and I have wanted one forever.

I have the Motorcycle saftey class coming up in May and hope to go to Sturgis and a couple of other rally's.

Just wondering where I could look at getting a used bike... Any help would be great.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Go through the msf course, first. Then look for a used bike. If I recall, one of the out of classroom assignments they give you in the msf course is to "research" a bike purchase. Now, every msf course may not do this, but you will have a much better perspective on what kind of bike you want AFTER you take the course.

IMHO, there are a number of bike choices available for a young person. The question you asked has recently been asked by another young member, about your age. The purchase of a H/D as a first bike may not be a practical choice: money/cost being the biggest hinderance.

Many Internet sites, this one included, have "for sale" sections. Check www.kkb.com [kellybluebook] to get a feel for what a used bike "should" cost. (A good rule of thumb is somewhere between the kkb "retail" and "wholesale" prices.) Drop in some convenience stores and pick up a copy of a used cycle mag. Start your search and take your time.

We look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome, PhatRyder!

Like pasadenajim said,take the course first.In the meantime I would pick up a few used bike mags & check out the sites jim & Fifth sent your way.

Not much else to say,you have plenty of options,go slow,Fatboys are a popular model & will be priced accordingly.You may be a little shocked at what they're going for.

I hope you get plenty of responses from the knowledgable folks in here,it's a great place to ask questions.

Good luck,post often & let us know how you make out.
guido

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not quite as new as I let on....

I have ridden sportbikes for over a year and a half.

I have also read twist of the wrist I and II

I have been around bikes for most of my life as my Dad is a Harley man.

I figure that I should be able to pick up a fairly new Fat Boy for around 16?

The Class is more for insurance purposes.

So how hard is it to finance a Harley? Or do they expect you to pay for it all at once? What did you guys do.

Peace:cool:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Hey PhatRyder,thanks for the reply.

As long as you're creditworthy (have a fulltime job, pay your bills on time) getting financing shoulndn't be a problem.You may need a co-signer because of your age,& a minimum 10% down is usually required.

I had no problem financing my Heritage at the local stealer.

16 grand is in the ballpark.
guido

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last year my goal was for my M class. And I did that.

This year it is to take the MSF class and get my bike.

Next year it will be to go to Sturgis.

Has anyone been there? Can you give me some tips to plan a good time.

I would say that I am credit worty BTW as I make 40G a year live on my own and such. Had the same job for 2 years now. No debt and never missed a payment.

It has always been my goal to take about two weeks off and just cruise....:D

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Sounds like a mighty fine plan to me PhatRyder!

Hope to make Sturgis someday,plenty of members in here can help you out in that department.

Let us know when you get the Fatty!
guido

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
PhatRyder said:
I'm not quite as new as I let on....

I figure that I should be able to pick up a fairly new Fat Boy for around 16?

The Class is more for insurance purposes.

So how hard is it to finance a Harley? Or do they expect you to pay for it all at once? What did you guys do.

Peace:cool:
PhatRyder,

You can get an '02 around $18K.

Regarding financing, go visit your nearest dealer, they will be happy to let you fill out an HD credit app and you will get your answer within an hour or so. Be advised you can get a lower interest rate *if* you purchase an extended warranty for the term of the loan.

Regarding insurance, hold onto your hat 'cause their gonna take everything else.
I'm 42 and I about **** when my insurance dude told me it would be about $2400 a year:eek:

wyodude

1 - 10 of 10 Posts