V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just became a member.

My first and only Harley is a 1992 FXRS. I have modified quite a bit over the years - ending up with a Macuni Carb, Edelbrock heads, V&H 2 into 1 and S&S cam.

I planned to take my son on a motorcycle trip up to Whistler, BC but the wife is not allowing me to take him on the FXRS. She "demands" that i get a bagger. I caved in and put a deposit on an 06 SC 103 Ultra Classic EG. I expect to have it before the summer (hopefully sooner).

The main reason i joined here is to get some ideas on what i might want to do to the engine when i get the bike. I am struggling with this and am trying to learn from the great ideas i have read.

i am leaning toward getting the heads ported and polished, putting in the Andrews Cam TW55, adding exhaust and getting it tuned. I am struggling with what to do with the exhaust. The D&D 2 into 1 seems to be a nice option but a bit concerned about the sound (from what i can gleam from the discussion). Alternative is to put on some slip-on mufflers and see how that is

i may post some questions in the engine modification/exhaust section to get some feedback

FXRS
Andrew

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Hello and welcome to the board! What a wife!! You shouldn't have to do much with that 103, and I'm sure you'll find lots of good info here!

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
freefxrs said:
Just became a member.

My first and only Harley is a 1992 FXRS. I have modified quite a bit over the years - ending up with a Macuni Carb, Edelbrock heads, V&H 2 into 1 and S&S cam.

I planned to take my son on a motorcycle trip up to Whistler, BC but the wife is not allowing me to take him on the FXRS. She "demands" that i get a bagger. I caved in and put a deposit on an 06 SC 103 Ultra Classic EG. I expect to have it before the summer (hopefully sooner).

The main reason i joined here is to get some ideas on what i might want to do to the engine when i get the bike. I am struggling with this and am trying to learn from the great ideas i have read.

i am leaning toward getting the heads ported and polished, putting in the Andrews Cam TW55, adding exhaust and getting it tuned. I am struggling with what to do with the exhaust. The D&D 2 into 1 seems to be a nice option but a bit concerned about the sound (from what i can gleam from the discussion). Alternative is to put on some slip-on mufflers and see how that is

i may post some questions in the engine modification/exhaust section to get some feedback

FXRS
Andrew

:welcome: to the forums. You should check out the bagger forums as there would be alot of differnt opinions and ideas to consider. I will offer this on your motor build. I am assuming you plan on more than just a port and polish on the new heads correct? New springs, etc.?

I sent my heads off to a company and just got them back recently. They in return performed a complete makeover by welding up most of the intake and exhaust and fire deck surface. Recut the angle of the intake and exhaust to achieve a higher performance swirl with better flow. Cut the combustion surface for a maximum burn, etc. Deck heads, install new guides, high performance valves, overhead, etc., and the normal port, flow, and polish. They should work very well once I am finished.

For exhaust you could considered running a Thunder Header with the dual fakie. For baggers they make a Fake pipe for the other side so you will still have the bagger dual pipe look, but thats all its there for. Check into that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Fatb0y

i do intend to get the full treatment on the heads

do you look at any of the other 2 into 1 w/ a falsie (D&D or others) and what made you go with the Thunderheaders. I am a bit concerned about the sound of the thunderheaders

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Welcome aboard Andrew.

Welcome to the chromed out, shinny painted, air-cooled forum of the Gods.

You will find many gurus, engine genius and generally cool human beings here who share the common denominator of V-Twin motor fun.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thunderheaders are not that loud until you twist into some throttle. I run one on my bagger as do all my buddies with Fatboy's. If you want porformance, then that is the pipe to use. It just depends on what your looking for in performance and looks.
Check around the exhaust post, you'll see many set-ups and opions.
Best of luck witht he new bike:thumbsup:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum! Congrats on getting a new bagger. I think you'll like it, but it's not going to hold a candle to your FXRS. Post up often and enjoy!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi and welcome. You'll likely run into some construction on the "sea to sky highway" 99 to Whistler..getting ready for the Olympics in 2010. lots of work going on there. The road was a great road for bikes before they started to improve it for the increased traffic demand.....sounds like you're going to have a fun bike to ride..I've trird the stock version of you SE 103. I liked it.
Don't get rid of your FXR tho..they don't make them like that anymore. I know, I had one and sold it years ago.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i hear you

I love my FXR - has taken me from Mexico to Canada and both coasts without a problem. I came up with Freefxrs because now that i am getting the bagger, i dont need the back seat anymore on the FXR. So i got rid of that, raised the front forks a few inches, put on some ape hangers and "freed" it up to look like ithe chopper it was meant to be. I will never get rid of this bike

best,

Andy

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
freefxrs said:
I love my FXR - has taken me from Mexico to Canada and both coasts without a problem. I came up with Freefxrs because now that i am getting the bagger, i dont need the back seat anymore on the FXR. So i got rid of that, raised the front forks a few inches, put on some ape hangers and "freed" it up to look like ithe chopper it was meant to be. I will never get rid of this bike

best,

Andy
Great bikes! I had one for ten years and over 100K

1 - 11 of 11 Posts