V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am saving up for a new Harley, and was looking around the internet for bike reviews, etc, and found this forum.

Great!

The best man at my wedding just put together a custom HD. Last time I saw it, it was in cardboard boxes. No 5hit, I saw it with my own eyes - it was in a bunch of boxes. It actually had extra parts from a different bike in some of the boxes too, so he gave these to a guy who helped him with some of the work.

He finished it over the winter, and then on a whim took it to a Harley show, and he took 1st place. It is really nice looking.

He let me drive it. I've had street bikes of one sort or another for the past 20 years or so, but this was the first time that I'd ever driven a Harley.

That got me thinking - maybe I'd like to get one....

So as soon as I get my car paid off, and have enough saved up, I'll start shopping in earnest. Between now and then, I want to learn as much as I can about HD's.

When I finished Marine Corp boot camp, I bought myself a brand new '83 Yamaha XV920MK "Midnight Special", which I had for many years. I later bought an XS1100 "Full Dress", and also have ridden a Suzuki GSXR750.

But I'd really like to give HD a try this time...

·
Registered
629 Posts
let me guess, you drive a diesel VW:D

Welcome!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diesel Engines...?

Yes, I drive a diesel VW. Having driven an 18 wheeler for a few years, I am familiar with diesel engines.

Best damn car I've ever had. Stock performance was a bit sluggish, but I fixed that with a new chip (followed a short time later by an upgraded clutch ;-) it'll smoke the tires. It's got heated leather seats, heated outside mirrors, sunroof, power everything, 5 speed manual, and over the past 46,000 miles it has given me an average of nearly 47 mpg. I've had it up to 110 mph a couple times, and it's got a bit more above that.

Which brings up a question: Anybody ever hear of anyone converting a Harley engine to diesel? The low end torque would be tremendous, and I'd expect both economy and longevity to be excellent. Of course there's the diesel smell, which some people don't like, but that's behind you when you ride ;-)

I think we're going to start seeing more diesel powered vehicles in the US in the future.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The US still hasn't figured out that diesel is better for the environment. Maybe in the long future.

I am a diesel mechanic and son of a driver, I have been around them a little:D I want one of those TDI engines under the hood of my truck. Someday...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome JettaTDI !

Good luck on your Harley quest.You've come to the right place to learn about 'em!

Looking forward to your posts.
guido

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My brother in law is an engineer at Ford. He's on the team that is working on a diesel engine for SUV's.

They already have diesel engines for the Ford Explorer, but they can't sell them in the US - export only. Has something to do with the quality of fuel sold here, and some convoluted emissions law that frowns on "particulates" more than it does on other stuff that you can't see.

Diesels are popular in Europe, partly because gasoline is much more expensive than diesel is there. Also, I heard about an airplane engine that runs on diesel fuel. They call it a "Compression Ignition Engine".

So maybe someday Harley will come out with a "Compression Ignition Engine" too... :cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jetta TDI,

Welcome....OK now with that said.

Don't wait just go and buy it now, the wait is killin me.....LOL!! Which model are you lookin at????

·
Registered
629 Posts
All diesel's are "Compression Ignition", turbines in planes with basically just a high grade of diesel fuel, like kerosine. Turbines are only efficient at high load stuations, horrible for cars. Diesels have high nitrogen oxide emissions and particulate emmisions. NOX is what causes visual smog (NOX reacts with other material in the air after contacting sunlight). Some believe that the carbon particulates may be carcinogenic, we don't know. Either way, diesel is a more efficient system hands down, burning less fuel is a good start in my opinion.

The Ford Ranger has an optional 5 cylinder diesel available in South America and a couple of other countries, that is the same one for the Explorer.

The TDI we use in the states is the smallest one VW makes, 90 HP. There is a 240 HP version in Germany. Maybe some day it will change, don't count on it. Natural gas, hydrogen, electric, and hybrids are what we will be seeing mostly in the future.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I have a '99 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 with a turbocharged 7.4L diesel.
This is an awesome truck, 77K miles and zero problems. I get around 17-18 mpg.

After the 100K warranty expires, I'll probably install a turbochip. I would buy another one of these trucks in a heartbeat.

wyo

·
Registered
686 Posts
welcome , you have Harley fever, good luck on finding a bike. Man i hate riding behind diesels, a guy at work has a dodge pickup with a diesel it sounds like a helecopter. saferiding rickpoco

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I've got a Diesel T shirt! :D :D :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts