V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I saw my uncle on an old harley davidson back when I was a young teenager (makes me sound old...) I've liked the lines and the look of harley davidsons. Not to mention the rich history behind it's name and it's personality all it's own.

I've walked both sides of the cruiser/crutch rocket track but I seem to keep coming back to the cruiser.

I was looking for a new ride for this spring (was going to drop some money on a new harley) but I got to thinking. I love motorcycles, and I'd like to know more about them (i.e. do my own work on them, custom them, etc.) but I'd be uncomfortable modding a new one... so a friend put a bug in my ear... why not build one... the more I thought, the more it sounded like a good idea..

So this is me, at ground zero. I know nothing about building a bike, engine repair/building, customizing,etc but I want to learn. So this is your official heads up, I think I'm going to be asking a lot of questions :D

I'm presently researching what kind of harley I'd love to build/customize, so if anyone can point out any sites where there are numerous old/new models customized by yourselves or others, that would be great.

If anyone has been in a similar circumstance as me, and just startign off, I'd love to hear your stories on what u did, what you enjoyed and hated about it etc.

Glad to have found you all. Look forward to sharing discussions..

P.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'd suggest you subscribe to some good mags like American Iron or Hot Bike. It shouldn't take too long for you decide what style you're looking for.

My first bike was a load of fun. Every winter, I'd park it in the kitchen and work on it. The wife won't allow that anymore! :mad: I'd tear it completely down, repaint everything that had paint on it, polish everything, and generally just have fun working on it. I just couldn't convince the wife that I needed to drill holes in the kitchen table so that I could mount the motor on it. Hey, you gotta have somewhere stable to work on those things!:D

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking at various magazines, and I've seen a few issues of American Iron, had a decent amount of content. I'll look into buying a subscription :)

Sounds like you had a blast on your first bike. I'm single, so I can build it in my living room if I wanted to and not catch flack for it... I think I like my freedom a little too much to settle down.. lol.. plus I'd get a kick out of seeing guests reaction having a motor mounted in the center of the dining table.... just as long as someone doesn't come along and think it's a flower vase and put some daisy's in it.. :eek:

I'm really anxious to get started because this takes me away from my PC (I spend 10 hours a day with one now.. god bless technology.. man feed machine, machine feed mad) so this is a much needed hobby to relieve stress and enjoy myself.

thanks for the welcome.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Welcome packet junkie. Building a low, mean, fat tire'd pounder is something that I have wanted to do for years but just can't seem to get my priorities and financials right to go through with it. So, for now it's only a dream. By the time I'm in a position to do it, you will be the expert and I will be asking you the questions. You will surely have a blast with the project undertaking and great satisfaction knowing that you built it the way you like it with your own hands. I'm envious! Keep us posted on what you decide to build.

Later,

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum,Packet Junkie!

Sounds like you've certainly got the right attitude to build one fine ride,best of luck!!

I'm sure you'll get plenty of great advice fom the members in here,great bunch of folks.

Whatever you decide,keep us up to date,it would be cool to follow your progress.
guido

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey FifthGear, thanks for the welcome. I've been searching for about a week and I just found not more than 5 mins ago a bike that I think I'm going to seriously look at building.....

This guy custom'd a 1975 Superglide FXE Attached below is a pic. That bike, IMO, looks awesome and is totally what I'd hope to build for a bike. Here's a picture of her;

http://used-harley-davidsons.com/photoads/photos/21243

that's a sweet ride....

Guido, thanks for the welcome as well. As I stated above, this ride is on my definately consider list of bikes I'd like build. That guy did an awesome job and it looks nice (of course I'd probably be more critical if I could walk around her :cool:

I'm still searching around and looking at various models.... any suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreaciated

·
Registered
297 Posts
May I ask, what kind of motor are you going for? Are you going to do an aftermarket like S&S or are you going HD? how about Panzer, that would be cool. I saw the pic of the look your going for, very nice:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest HDGirl, I have no clue on what I'd pick.

I'm relatively new to the mechanical side of things in bikes, so rather then look like a goof and try to comment on your question, I'll simply say I'm not educated enough about the subject to make a decision at this point. I love the old saying "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" ;)

I guess you could say I'm a total n00b.. I'll try not to annoy the good people of these forums to much as I search for higher education lvl of motorcycle mechanics..

Can you point me at a website or reading material that I might be able to pickup that debates these engine choices? Or even a site/reading material that explains the different engines... I've scrawled your question down on a piece of paper and I'll probably spend most of 2nite looking for that info...

Thanks for giving me some direction on where I'll eventually take this bike

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sorry Packet Junkie, but I don't have any websites where you can find out about the various motors out there, I just know their out there. I'm sure if you do a search you'll find something. My husband was going to build me a bike, but then this deal came along that we just couldn't pass up. So I never really looked into them too much just know they are there. We subscribe to Hot Rod Bikes and American Iron, I found ads, but not really any info.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome Junkie. If you got questions you landed in the right place! I like projects myself and aren't afraid to jump right in. As far as getting a new bike and messing with it, thats exactly what I did. I bought an '02 Superglide, put 400 miles on it and tore it apart. Just got it back together this weekend. I'll post pics today in the general forum. I was gonna build a rigid wide ass groundpounder but my wife mentioned something about having me commited! Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to build and have fun doing it:D
Sheepboy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ok HDgirl, my search continues. If I find some good articles I'll be sure to post them.

Sounds like you're having fun with your '02 superglide man. And being committed isn't too bad, they have pills with purdy colors :D

I know I'm going to have a blast building it... now just to spend the next month absorbing information and then start :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts