V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my first bike out for my first ride on Christmas Eve. I have essentially zero riding experience, but this thing seems to drive itself. I just "thought" which way I wanted to go, and almost like magic the bike followed. Of course, I wasn't scraping pegs in fifth gear either. I think it helps that I've only ever driven standard tranny vehicles so the shifting was natural. Plus, I've logged about 100hrs of saddle time in the living room, along with 1/8 tank of gas and several dozen carbon monoxide alarms. Probably fouled the plugs a bit in the process, as it had spells where it'd miss a lot. Maybe I never got it warmed up entirely either.

Christmas Eve was maybe 35 degrees but clear. Roads were dry, and didn't have much salt thanks to some recent wet weather. Couldn't find my gloves but wish I had! When I arrived at my friend's place she had to help me out of my helmet since my hands felt like frozen hams. I still need some decent gloves, chaps, and some tight fitting glasses. My eyes can't handle much wind before I'm crying like a sissy.

I'm digging this bike more every day. It's a burgundy 95 Superglide with fringed leather bags and very few chrome parts. I like it that way. The only things I want to add are passing lights and a decent windscreen. It came with the HD smoked sport windshield, which looks more like a Honda Magna accessory to me (hate it, took it off immediately). I'd also like to upgrade my back lights with those kits that utilize the turn signals for running lights. After safety and comfort are addressed I'll add a stage 1 intake kit and some pipes. A nice sound would be great, but I'm more concerned with torque. I think I'll appreciate the performance upgrades more fully if I run it as-is for a while.

Later,
Chilly the new guy

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
:D ...boy you're surely hooked now! Glad you enjoyed the chilly ride, what a great self gift :rolleyes:. Thanks for sharing............

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Congradulations on your self provided gift. May I strongly recommend a safety course. I took Abate here in Indiana and it was the best thing I could ever do. Helped be get my indorsement with out taking the driving test. They taught me everything in 2 1/2 days. It was well worth the money. $25 to be exact.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
May I strongly recommend a safety course.
No better advice to brother and sister riders! It will save your life. You can never know enough!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Ditto on the msf course. :) IMHO, the msf, coupled with good sense, is your best bet for staying alive.

Oh, invest in the safety accessories and riding gear BEFORE the performance upgrade.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Glad to hear your having fun,all of us here know the feelin'!

The MSF course is great advice.Knowledge is the key.You're off to a great start by being a forum member & posting.A person with 30 years of riding under thier belt can still learn about being a smarter,safer rider.NEVER be afraid to ask questions,the knowledge in here is incredible!

Enjoy!!
guido

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd planned on getting into the MSF course in the fall, but as you know they fill up fast. I'll catch it early this spring for sure. Here in PA it's free so there's no good reason to NOT take the course.

Later,
Chilly

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whoa, slow down big guy. I'm happy you are having fun, but it's not THAT easy. There is a lot to learn and you have to be careful. Just like anything, being over confident can dangerous. I hope you can get into the MSF course as soon as you can find a spot. Even so only experience and miles will be the best teacher though, and that takes time.

I wish you good luck and tons of fun.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Another YEA, on the MS course. Road for years on a Rice-burner and didn’t know how many mistakes I was making. Get the instruction early and you will make good habits.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
welcome to motorcycling, and the forum. I've been riding a long time and made my fair share of mistakes the hard way (road rash and broken parts). I couldn't suggest the safety course any more strongly, just might save your life. After all, the best safety equipment is your brain, Avoid the accident!!!

Post a picture of your bike. Good luck and many, many safe miles !!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried to upload a picture but I got a message saying it was too big. It's a .jpg file, not loaded onto any hosting website. I tried to upload to what I thought was this board's own picture hosting thing but as I said, too big. Nothing particularly special about the bike except that it's mine.

Chilly

·
Registered
381 Posts
Chilly, resize the pic on your computor then upload. What part of Pa are you in? The MSF starts taking reservations in early Jan, so jump on it quick for the spring classes. Congrats on the bike.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tried again, no luck. I zoomed out with the original image to make it dimensionally smaller, then resaved. "Properties" says it's 264K disk space, and the hosting feature says I have a 1024k disk quota, so I don't know why it won't load.

I'm in Western PA, near Mercer.

Chilly

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I'm posting a link here with some great info for riders of all skill levels. Check it out and I think you will benefit from time you spend reading the tips section.Motorcycle safety and tips.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Congrads. and welcome to the forum. Fulldraw posted an awsome site. It would do you some good to read through it. I'm waiting to go home to my RK and it helped pass the time and lower the cravin's. Have fun and be safe. Get into the course ASAP. J.T.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just a quick reminder to the new riders. I witnessed a new 2003 Lowrider with 39 miles on it all bent up and covered in sand at a shop here in Vegas. When I asked how this happened the mechanic said the NEW driver was waving at some friends showing off and drove into a planter on Las Vegas Boulevard causing most likely a couple dollars damage.
BE CAREFUL ( KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD) IT CAN HAPPEN!!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
ditto on the course first ... then on getting lots of experience and having tons of fun.
Welcome - and keep the drip pads down on the living room floor!!

BigG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts