V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The softail manual recommends a tech look at the front end at 500 miles. Is this necessary, or is this another way for them to get my $ ? I'm a pretty good mechanic with some good tools, but is there more to this? Thanks in advance.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I'm not sure what the techs look at on the front end, but I have owned two springers and have never had any problems. I would bet its a visual inspection, or a shot of grease in the neck for the bearings. If you carry it in for the first service, this should be included anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey jockeyshift, if you remember, I was going with 12in apes. Well, I wussed out and put on bad boy bars until I could get a set of pre-drilled bars and new SS cables. The bad boys are allright, but they sure aren't apes. I got my bike through the military, so I don't think there's a freebie first service, so I'll be doing it myself. OB

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The springer front end puts a pretty good load on the fork bearings. Keep them greased (HD has a special purpose just for springers) and keep the fall away set fairly close to spec. If the front end gets a little bit loose, you wind up with brinnelling (? spelling) on the races.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
USAFPJ,

Are you still planning on the Apes for later on? If you plan on doing the service yourself, spend some extra dough and grab a service manual. There is some good reading in there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Service Manual says:

at 500 miles adjust (fall away) and lubricate steering head bearings and check rocker bearings for tightness.

My FLSTS '01 has just passed the 10000 miles with lubrication of steering head at every 2500 miles (not fall away test yet) and first check of rocker bearings at 10000.(wheel,brake and fender disassembly...)

Keep steering head well greased (with special grease 99857-97) and check rocker bearings tightness every 10000 miles.
Check spherical rocker bearings (teflon) at 50000.

Best regards

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Thanks for the info Twin Cam. I need to look at mine soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts