V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been lurking on this board for a while and have even thrown out a post or two. I thought I would introduce myself and tell you my story.

I've been on two wheels for as long as I can remember. Some of my first memories are me when I about four swiping my older sister bike and riding up and down the street. When I was five, I got my first bike. It was a nice new BMX style bike I couldn't have been more excited. It was stolen a few weeks later and I ended up getting an old Schwinn Stingray. It wasn't as cool as my first bike but I was happy cause I had my own bike again. As I got a little older, I had a friend whose dad would weld several forks together and we would build "choppers" out of our bicycles just like the local bikers we saw. Sissy bars and big ape hanger handlebars we thought we were little bad asses cruising the neighborhood.

When I was 10 by dad bought a Tote Goat. I rode the hell out of that thing. A few years later I got an old Yamaha and rode that till it died in a puff of blue smoke. My parents didn't like my fascination with motorcycles but they let me ride it if I could keep it running.

Growing up I knew I would ride when I got older. My parents wouldn't let me buy a road bike when I hit sixteen. So I rode my dirt bike on the road and ended up getting a few tickets for it. When I hit eighteen, I bought my first road bike. It was an 85 Honda Shadow. I was hooked, rode it everywhere. Even went on my honeymoon on it. I owned that bike for fifteen years. During that time we had kids bought a house and other things that kept me from getting the Harley that I always wanted. A couple of years ago my brother bought an Electra Glide. He let me ride it quite a bit. That was it. I needed a new bike. Although I knew I couldn't afford another payment for the bike I wanted I put the Shadow up for sale. First guy that saw it bought it for what I wanted. I only had 3500 dollars and with the truck payments and other bills there was no way I could go into debt for one. Went bike shopping and rode a few iron head sporties but after putting several hundred miles on my bro's dresser I knew I didn't want a little naked bike. I ended up buying and old Goldwing. While it's not a Harley, it is a great ride. You definitely get spoiled with the radio and all the storage you get with a dresser. My truck will be paid off in about a year and a half. Unless something happens and I win the lottery I will have to wait till then to get my Electra Glide. I also hang out on the Goldwing board and came across this one looking for one for my bro. Hope you guys don't mind a Honda rider hanging out hear. You guys are more fun than the older crowd that hangs out on the Goldwing board.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Wingrider,

No one will mind that your riding a goldwing until the time when you can get the HD of your dreams.

Welcome Aboard.

wyo

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Some of us know what you mean about not being able to afford the bike you want. Everybody here doesn't have the big incomes. I work a second job (home based business) to be able to afford mine. Doesn't matter what you ride...you are welcome here.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
:D Glad to have ya here! Watch those older crowd remarks, some of us resemble that!:cool: Welcome

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I know most people don't care what you ride. Most of the people I ride with ride Harleys. It makes for some good natured ribbing. I've also rode with the local Goldwing group and get a bit of ribbing from them. Hey it's all in good fun.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome Wingrider,

I don't think we are like other boards that require you to own or belong to a certain group to enjoy it. I am sure if I tried a bagger I'd be hooked that is why I have stayed off of them. I know somehow I find things to carry with that I more than like wouldn't need anyway. I figure now if I can tie it down I really don't need it in the first place.

But I have to say one of the weirdest things happened to me this last summer, I was traveling over to Indiana and stop for the evening in Marysville OH. I went out to a restaurant across the street from the Hotel and when I walked in wearing a Harley shirt everyone in a back room turned around and looked at me. Turned out it was a Goldwings Owners Group meeting; apparently they are built in OH. Was just kind of odd feeling.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts