V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a PCIII USB on my Street Glide today. I had been getting significant decel popping since after getting the Stage-1 kit and SE pipes. I purchased the PC to address the decel popping and to get as much performance as I can from my present set-up. This Afternoon I rode around for about an hour. The decel popping and the occasional backfiring is gone so at least the PC did it's job there. Also the engine seems to run a lot smoother at idle and at very slow speeds like when slowly coming to a stop. There is one concern though. Normally my bike starts instantly when I press the starter switch. With the PC there is a hesitation of about 3 seconds before the engine kicks over. It does that every time I start the bike now. Is that normal with a PC? If not is there a way to adjust it so it will start normally? The map I'm using is from the CD that came with the PC. It's for the exact same set-up that I have with the exception that the map is for a 2002 bike and mine is a 2006. Thanks.

eddie

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Make sure you have the throttle position set.

Try this.

When you have the software open and the bike running and your laptop connected to the PC , look for the tab at the top that reads power commander tools.

Under this tab click on set throttle position. When that is done, a small window will pop up, choose reset.

After you reset, open to full throttle, don't hold it open just make sure that you get it twisted all the way open. the motor may make 3000 rpm or so with just a quick twist. Then click OK.

You will have just set the throttle position and it should now read 0% throttle with the bike at idle.

I would also make sure the bike is warmed up before doing the reset.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vafatboy said:
Make sure you have the throttle position set.

Try this.

When you have the software open and the bike running and your laptop connected to the PC , look for the tab at the top that reads power commander tools.

Under this tab click on set throttle position. When that is done, a small window will pop up, choose reset.
Someone mentioned setting the throttle position in another thread before I installed the PCIII. Unfortunately I do not own a laptop. I added the current map using my desktop computer before I installed it. I think I'll look for a cheap used laptop to use just for the PCIII. Thanks for the reply.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Alpha_Biker said:
Someone mentioned setting the throttle position in another thread before I installed the PCIII. Unfortunately I do not own a laptop. I added the current map using my desktop computer before I installed it. I think I'll look for a cheap used laptop to use just for the PCIII. Thanks for the reply.

Well, you could take your computer out to the bike. I know that sounds like a PITA, but it wouldn't take that much effort. Throttle position needs to be set or your map will be out of sync with rpm vs throttle position. Don't know if this is your problem with the hesitation, but it would be good to rule this out as cause.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Street Glide does the exact same thing... Odd. I have set the throttle position and it still does it. Anyone else experience this???

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
The 2002 map will not be correct for the 2006. Do yourself a favor and spend the money to get a custom map made (about $250). You will not believe the difference, it is money well spent.

Teu

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
I too agree with getting a custom map, BUT I have yet to do it.. :)

Mine suffered from the same problem after the install of the PCUSB.
To "bandaid" it, take the 1000-750-500 rpm levels at 0% and make it -5 on the timing, keeps it from popping throu the "carb" on starts and hits in about 3 revos..
Also change the fuel to +10 on all 0% up to 5000rpm. Helps with the decel popping.. I tried values up to 40 in that area and 10 seems to be best for my bike, higher and it started running rough and loading a little.

Hope this helps

Brad

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
When you altered the fuel in the ''0'' throttle position for the decel popping did you change the ''0'' TP below 1500 rpms? if so put taht area back to ''0'' units. There should be no reason to change your existing ECM map in that area.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
I'll check to see about the 0% under 1500.. I don't remember for sure.
Either way, this is a bandaid fix, to get by until you get it on the dyno.
My PC is a bandaid in itself, as I'm getting the SERT ASAP..
Will be offering this one up for someone who likes to use them, I'll list in the proper section soon as my SERT arrives..

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
I'm pretty certain that I've read that the PCIII does not even do anything at all to modify timing or fuel ratios until the engine reaches operating temperature. I believe that detail is noted somewhere in manual, or on the website. I'd look for other causes other than the PCIII if this is happening on a cold start. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Thanks,

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
AustinFXDWG said:
I'm pretty certain that I've read that the PCIII does not even do anything at all to modify timing or fuel ratios until the engine reaches operating temperature. I believe that detail is noted somewhere in manual, or on the website. I'd look for other causes other than the PCIII if this is happening on a cold start. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Thanks,

Are you sure about that? I thought the PC kicked in after 50 engine revolutions.

Teu

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
AustinFXDWG said:

I would question that assumption as well, based on my experience with the unit. I don't know rather it 50 revs not, but it does affect the bike when it cold.
As stated, I had trouble with "carb farts" when cold, with the PC and the timing correction, they are no more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts