V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you Heritage classic owners out there would say that your ride is great for long rides/tours? Friend of mine wants one for long rides/tours and I'm partial to my touring bike (EG), so I couldn't really give him a solid answer to his question if he'll be comfortable in the saddle for a long time. Any opinions/feedback woudl be great....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nuff said...

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I've had 500-600 mile days on mine without any problem. i think there are more add on touring options on a touring bike though. waterproof, locking bags are also a plus.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brownjams said:
I've had 500-600 mile days on mine without any problem. i think there are more add on touring options on a touring bike though. waterproof, locking bags are also a plus.
Yeah, but you can't beat the look of a Heritage, f*cking beautiful bikes!

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
I had a Heritage, did a few 700 mile days, but that was about all I wanted to go. Traded it off for a Road Glide which I have ridden on 1100 mile days. Big difference between the two bikes and for me the Road Glide wins hands down.

However, it is going to really come down to personal preferences on what your friend wants and likes. I really like the cruise control when I get on long open stretches of highway. There are other reasons as previous posters have mentioned, lockable storage, a little more protection from the elements and the crap that cars/trucks etc. seem to kick up at you when going down the road.

My recommendation would be for him to test ride the Heritage and then a touring bike to see which he prefers.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
stonesrock said:
Yeah, but you can't beat the look of a Heritage, f*cking beautiful bikes!
Oh I agree they are sweet looking bikes, that's what I have. I love the ride and looks of the Heritage. just mentioned the touring options.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think "versatility" is the best word for the Heritage.
I have an '04 and love it! I have been on 600 mile plus rides with my Road King buddies and it's no problem. I just think my bike looks better than thier Road Kings. Are they more comfortable on a long ride? Probably,especially for 2-up riding, but I don't do 600 mile rides every day!
That being said, you cannot beat a Heritage for all aroung cruising, touring, bar hopping,etc. In addition, it is the best looking machine in the Harley "Fleet".:Banadance

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I love my Heritage for local AND long distance rides. But if I were looking for a bike strictly for long rides, I gotta say the EG would be my choice.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
My Heritage is set up to carry almost as much as a touring bike with a
tour pack. I added HD hard bags, a rack with a large t-bag. All are removable. Also changed bars to suit my size and riding style.
Couple hundred or more miles a day is no problem. I have the stock
seat and it is fine for me. Not sure about 4-500 mile days.
Wife bitches about the pillion on long rides. If I keep this bike I'll upgrade
to a wider pillion.
The Heritage has good wind protection but not as good as an EG in cold
weather.
The EG has superior handling in the twisties over Heritage.
I think Dawg43 is correct. The best of both worlds might be a Heritage.
An RK would be better if you could remove the bags and look ok.
That being said, if your friend is going to do alot of touring, I think he should
get an EG. If it's just long rides maybe a Heritage would be fine.
I like mine but an EG, probably an Ultra is in my future.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Add a Mustang Tourning Saddle and you've got a 2 wheeled Winabago, at least for solo work. For 2 up, I think things are a little cramped and a softtail just doesn't have the rear suspension to compete with a pumped up air shock, IMHO. -2$en#e-

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Mixed Feelings

I had a Heritage Classic and loved it. I have to agree, it is the most gorgeous bike on the road, bar none. I did alot of 2 up riding on it. My wife was fairly confortable as I replaced the stock pillion with a touring one.I also added the optional detachable tour pack. The main reason I sold the Heritage and bought the Ultra is more creature comforts and the ability to carry more.

We do alot of touring. The fairing gives more protection over windshield. We like the communucation system and the radio. When we ride with my son we can communicate with him by way of the CB.The Ultra does not like city or stop and go traffic. It is a little on the bulky side.

It boils down to a matter of preference and your style of riding. If a person is going to do a lot of 2 up touring than the Ultra is the way to go.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Rode my old Heritage Softail Classic from Virginia out to the Rockies 3 summers ago taking a number of biways and avoiding interstate on way out, hitting Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, etc. Came back through Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and rode I-70 and I-64 back to Virginia. The Heritage (with stock seat and windshield) was very comfortable and had no problems. Did an oil/primary/tranny change in Casper, Wyoming. Loved that bike - ran like a champ. Mostly 500-750 mile days.

Ride an Ultra now, with tour-pak removed except for real long hauls, and really like its versatility, ride, and comfort. I still foresee (when/if I have the $$) getting another Heritage too. I remember the stock saddle being really big and comfortable.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the info, I forwarded the comments on to my friend. I think no matter what you guys would say, he is getting the Heritage, his mind is made up and I don't blame him. He is in the process of selling his Sportster and we are going to look at an 04 Heritage with 3000 miles tomorrow that a private owner is selling. Man, if I had the money, I think I would keep my EG, along with having a Heritage.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
stonesrock said:
Man, if I had the money, I think I would keep my EG, along with having a Heritage.
That's what I'm shooting for. I either have to convince the wife it's prudent, or figure out how to disguise it as something so she won't notice it out there in the garage...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We already have two bikes in our garage (wife has an 05 1200 Custom) and the wife wants to eventually upgrade to a Heritage. Maybe she'll let me ride it now and then...Yeah, right.

I'll just keep playing my lottery tickets in the meantime...

·
Registered
265 Posts
stonesrock said:
Thanks all for the info, I forwarded the comments on to my friend. I think no matter what you guys would say, he is getting the Heritage, his mind is made up and I don't blame him. He is in the process of selling his Sportster and we are going to look at an 04 Heritage with 3000 miles tomorrow that a private owner is selling. Man, if I had the money, I think I would keep my EG, along with having a Heritage.
I just went from a Sporty to a '04 heritage last month. I miss the Sporty (and I plan to have another one day!) but, the Heritage is much better for the 2-up long rides Paula and I do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts