V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of a chrome cover that would thread on the ugly saddle bag mounting studs when running without the bags? I own a 2001 Heritage. It would be nice to have some kind of bullet shaped cover that would hide the entire stud including the hex head of the stud. Thanks for any replies.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Should have bought a Fat Boy, No bags to take off.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
It is possible to remove the studs and install a different system which allows having the bags on, then easily removing the bags and having a cleaner look. I know one such system is called "Bare Backs", or some such. Look online or ask your dealer. If you can wrench a little yourself, I don't think they're too hard to put on.

·
Recon
839 Posts
harleyhinzy said:
Does anybody know of a chrome cover that would thread on the ugly saddle bag mounting studs when running without the bags? I own a 2001 Heritage. It would be nice to have some kind of bullet shaped cover that would hide the entire stud including the hex head of the stud. Thanks for any replies.
Bubbas brake.com

·
Registered
236 Posts
harleyhinzy said:
Doesn't Harley have a chrome cap that fits over the stud? I believe it's held on by magnet. Pretty sure I saw these in my 2006 catalog.
Fred

·
Registered
265 Posts
fredcrn said:
Doesn't Harley have a chrome cap that fits over the stud? I believe it's held on by magnet. Pretty sure I saw these in my 2006 catalog.
Fred
Those aren't made for the Heritage studs...no where near long enough.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I was looking at the same problem w/ '88 Heritage. I picked up some chrome countersunk flathead screws with chrome countersunk washers (they stick out about 1/4" from the fender struts) & used zinc fender washers with nylon locknuts (must reach inside the fender to get these on, not TOO tricky). It looks much cleaner than the stock bullet shaped acorn nuts. I used fasteners that were on the short side as I don't use the bags, but it looks like the countersunk flatheads can be long enough to permit mounting the bags and at the same time short enough that they don't rub the tire when the bags are off.

I believe J&P Cycles carries kits with this setup (for FX models). I don't think they have them for the Heritage. I just took some measurements and ordered the screws from an internet dealer of chrome fasteners, @ $45 for everything.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
go buy 4 chrome bolts to put in their place if you want to take off your bags. take the rear seat off while your at it and it'll look like a different bike stripped down like that. I did that to my heritage last fall just to see what it looks like.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
brownjams said:
go buy 4 chrome bolts to put in their place if you want to take off your bags. take the rear seat off while your at it and it'll look like a different bike stripped down like that. I did that to my heritage last fall just to see what it looks like.

Looks awesome bro. Just wondering about something. My wife is getting tired of the pegs on my fltsci. Im gonna install the chrome footboards like you have. I think you have to put on some kind of bag relocation kit. Did you do that? Was it easy job?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here's a hint

The easiest way to get to the nuts that hold the saddlebag studs on is thru the front of the fender.
Remove the seat and open the plastic panel above the wiring block. You can reach right in and get to the nuts. Much easier than trying to reach up under the edge of the fender

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
loclhero said:
Looks awesome bro. Just wondering about something. My wife is getting tired of the pegs on my fltsci. Im gonna install the chrome footboards like you have. I think you have to put on some kind of bag relocation kit. Did you do that? Was it easy job?

i put pass. floorboards on my 04 hearitage and the only bracket that i needed was to attach the bottom bracket of the bags to the frame and i made it. it wasnt hard to do it bolts in using the same hole that the pass. floorboard uses .

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Call me picky, but hex bolts? Chrome, or not, first thing I think is somebody stopped of @ Home Depot to have the back fender mounted. I suppose for a temporary jaunt without saddlebags it would be o.k. For me, it wouldn't work as a permanent solution. The rest of the bike looks good, though.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
mrknowitalltoo said:
Call me picky, but hex bolts? Chrome, or not, first thing I think is somebody stopped of @ Home Depot to have the back fender mounted. I suppose for a temporary jaunt without saddlebags it would be o.k. For me, it wouldn't work as a permanent solution. The rest of the bike looks good, though.
I tried to buy matching torque bolts at the harley shop I went to and they didn't have them. if I road all the time like that I agree they the hex bolts would have to go. good eye for detail you have there.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
harley04 said:
i put pass. floorboards on my 04 hearitage and the only bracket that i needed was to attach the bottom bracket of the bags to the frame and i made it. it wasnt hard to do it bolts in using the same hole that the pass. floorboard uses .
thanks harely..if i don't get those pass boards soon the wife is gonna kill me
but i gotta be cool...she bought the bike for me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts