V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for my first harley, and until yesterday had ridden dynas because I thought that was what I wanted (and I might still get one). Yesterday I visited a dealer to check out a '98 FXDL they have, and also decided to try an '00 Heritage Softail they just got in. I rode the dyna first and liked it; then I rode the Heritage and REALLY liked it. There were several times on the ride where i thought, "Man, this thing is nice;" It was roomier than the dyna and rode like a Cadillac, and sounded great.

The one area where I prefer the dyna is brakes; it has dual front discs, and when I tried a hard stop to see what she had she stopped FAST. Doing a hard stop on the Heritage somehow slipped my mind (probably due to enjoying the ride), but I had to use the brakes to stop for a light and had to squeeze pretty hard (I was probably going ~50).

Here's my question: what do you think of the brakes on your Heritage? Are they adequate for normal street use? Are emergency stops a problem? Is it just me, since I rode the dyna first?

Thanks for your opinions on this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Satisfied with the brakes on my '02. Dual disc is always preferred and it cost several dollars but it is still easier to add a dual disc setup than it is to make a bike comfortable and fit.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Heritage brakes are just fine. The one you rode may need the pads replaced.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It hadn't occurred to me that the pads might need replacing; the dealer had just got that bike in and hadn't yet done all the things they do to used bikes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 09 Heritage suprised me, I like the suspension and the brake quite a bit. Being as yours is a 00 maybe the brake needs a wee bit of attention?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought my first Harley; a previously owned 2008 Heritage Softail with 4300 miles on the odometer (brakes). The brakes haven't failed me when I needed them. They feel normal, no fade or sponginess.

My only bike that had dual front brake rotors was a '02 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 and it was no better or worse than my much heavier Harley with a single rotor.

As long as the pads are good and the rotors are good, both front and rear and proper maintenance is performed on them regularly, there should not be any issues with the brakes.

Of course dual brake rotors would be a plus on any heavy bike.

Maybe my next one!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like all above, dual rotors would be better but more costly. I have no problems with a hard stop on my heritage. Just have to remember that it's a heavy bike. I agree that the one you rode probably just need pads replaced. Many dealers tend to do nothing to trade-ins other than clean'em to make'em pretty and sparkly, so beware and be prepared to have to do some initial work on a new "used" ride. Best of luck. jc

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, everone. The Heritage I rode sold the next business day after I rode it (and I think I rode it a day or 2 after it was traded in; that was fast!) so I bought the '98 Low Rider instead.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
I never had a heritage, but I had a Fatboy, same thing. The brakes were nothing short of horrendous. If you talk with HD only riders they'll report them as OK. Not really true since most of them never rode a bike with good brakes. Singe disc on a 700 lb bike is a travesty. This is one of the main reasons I got rid of the FB for a new roadglide, finally some semblance of brakes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I bought my fatboy used and it came with PM 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers. I could not imagine not having the stopping power I have. I think a lot of it has to do with how you ride and brake. I like my front brake and rarely sue the rear, but if i stock calipers I would be forced to sue both much more often due to the lack of stopping power they have.

The sportster has stock brakes, weighs much less and is still a real challenge to stop compared to my fatboy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Evo

Thanks again, everone. The Heritage I rode sold the next business day after I rode it (and I think I rode it a day or 2 after it was traded in; that was fast!) so I bought the '98 Low Rider instead.
when ya get a chance lits see some pic's of the 98, got to love that evo :woohoo:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts