V-Twin Forum banner

1021 - 1041 of 1040 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if I should ask this here or in the exhaust form, but here goes.
I have an '14 Heritage with stock pipes. I love the look of them, but want to get a better pair of pipes. Does anyone know of a better sounding and performing pipes that still have the OEM shotgun look?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have an '14 Heritage with stock pipes. I love the look of them, but want to get a better pair of pipes. Does anyone know of a better sounding and performing pipes that still have the OEM shotgun look?
I can't answer whether this is the place to post this or not but you can give this place a look. I have used them for two Roadkings and I did like the sound. It is saying that they do soft tails now which they didn't do when I used them. Give it a read and see what you think. You may have to contact them to see for sure if they do Heritage pipes. Good luck with your hunt it can be fairly confusing sometimes.

https://americancustom.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience in pipe shopping/research but I think slip-ons may be the answer. I think I read, on this site, that the stock head pipes are actually pretty good.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Has anyone ever raised the rear of their Heritage? Wondering how that might change the handling characteristics. I am not looking for crazy amount of lift. I have the preload set to max and it barely moves when I sit on it alone. But 2-up, it bottoms too much. If I could raise it so that it sags to a level that is even a half inch higher then I think it would help.

My uninformed opinion is that multiple inches up would help with the geometry and probably make it ride better but it may quickly start looking like a shackled up muscle car.

For reference, my bike has a lowering kit installed by the previous owner. With it lowered and the preload set to what I guess was stock, I was bottoming and scraping floorboards all the time. Now it is adjusted as high as it will go(near stock, I think) and the preload is at max. It rides much better and I scrub less often.

I may try a larger OD tire next time but 6th gear is already higher than I need. Shortening the shocks seem like the best answer. The aftermarket shocks I have seen claim to offer some lowering ability and are adjustable all the way up to stock height but none seem to go higher.

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Well neighbor I had a Heritage with stock shocks that weren't lowered and it still bottomed out. So I bought a Road King. I had it lowered front and back and it still hasn't bottomed out at least not yet.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
Has anyone ever raised the rear of their Heritage? Wondering how that might change the handling characteristics. I am not looking for crazy amount of lift. I have the preload set to max and it barely moves when I sit on it alone. But 2-up, it bottoms too much. If I could raise it so that it sags to a level that is even a half inch higher then I think it would help.

My uninformed opinion is that multiple inches up would help with the geometry and probably make it ride better but it may quickly start looking like a shackled up muscle car.

For reference, my bike has a lowering kit installed by the previous owner. With it lowered and the preload set to what I guess was stock, I was bottoming and scraping floorboards all the time. Now it is adjusted as high as it will go(near stock, I think) and the preload is at max. It rides much better and I scrub less often.

I may try a larger OD tire next time but 6th gear is already higher than I need. Shortening the shocks seem like the best answer. The aftermarket shocks I have seen claim to offer some lowering ability and are adjustable all the way up to stock height but none seem to go higher.
A larger tire will just bottom out against the fender easier, shortening the suspension travel. I'm not sure, did you remove the lowering kit? Or adjust it? It should be removed and adjust the shock mounts as short as you can. Or get an air shock suspension but they are costly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I adjusted until I ran out of threads but the lowering kit is still there. If I compare the swing arm to the frame, then average the difference from me sitting on it and not, then the frame and swingarm are in perfect alignment. But I don't know what stock should be.

To remove the lowering kit I would have to find the stock shock studs. To do that I would have to know that I was going to gain some height.

While I do like the RoadKing (my 2nd favorite HD), I already know this bikes quirks and don't care to take a chance on another used bike.

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Don't get me wrong I loved my Heritage, it too has v+h longshots so instead of quieter pipes I bought another bike. This one has slipons and if these aren't quiet enough then I will find something else. To buy the whole system is expensive, but I can live with the cost of slipons.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would call the footboard scrub managable now after ~6K miles on this bike (maybe 20 of those were highway). I used to ride a sport bike and stopped riding for may years because its capabilities, it simply required too much speed to make it fun, for me. So, I am NOT interested in sportbike capabilities but a few more degrees of lean angle would be OK.

If/when we get another winter storm, I may pull one of the shocks to see what options I have for shortening without losing travel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Today I removed the interior nut on each shock and in its place I put a spacer that lets the remaining nut tighten all the way against the 1-1/16 nut that is used to unlock the preload adjustment. I might have gone too far and could need to add more spacer. Right now it sits higher with me on it than it used to without me.

Current concerns if anyone can advise: 1. When the stock rear suspension bottoms, what limits the travel? Is it coil bind, shock travel or something else? 2. What limits the travel in the opposite direction? I am a little concerned that I may have my shocks/spring compressed with the bike at rest.

Worst case, I will have very limited suspension travel. That'll help keep the sparks from flying in the turns but may also cause it to ride like a hardtail.

We are supposed to see some all the worst winter weather tonight and tomorrow so a test ride will have to wait. But I can tell that its taller just sitting on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Took my new to me 2016 Heritage on a 200 mile round trip with the wife. The wind coming under the windshield buzzed my helmet to the point my nose went numb. Never experienced this before, stopped off at the dealer and ordered wind deflectors.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Installed the lower deflectors, the Harley instructions were worthless. Had to figure out installation on my own. Windshield is still removable and now the wind isn't slapping my chest.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Doesn't seem to be much discussion here, but here goes. Harley doesn't offer an oil cooler that is fan assisted or thermostat controlled. I found one on the internet and am having it installed this morning. Not cheap at $500 but should add to engine life especially at times sitting still.

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
I have already started looking for another used Heritage. What is it with the high rise handlebars? I would change my bars anyway like I had on my 02. Cruise is a must. I forgot about this thread about my favorite ride.

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Doesn't seem to be much discussion here, but here goes. Harley doesn't offer an oil cooler that is fan assisted or thermostat controlled. I found one on the internet and am having it installed this morning. Not cheap at $500 but should add to engine life especially at times sitting still.
Oil coolers work if you are moving most get the fans that blow at the spark plugs and over the heads. The thinnest metal is at the spark plugs .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Being thermostat controlled, it won't come on until needed. Glad to hear your looking for a Heritage. Remember the 2016 was the first year for cruise control on it.

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Being thermostat controlled, it won't come on until needed. Glad to hear your looking for a Heritage. Remember the 2016 was the first year for cruise control on it.
What that is practically new with the new price. I think I am too cheap for that. Norm sent me some links once for real cruise for my 02, I didn't do anything with it though.

1021 - 1041 of 1040 Posts