V-Twin Forum banner

Heritage owners discussion

408K views 1K replies 429 participants last post by  bill corkey 
#1 ·
Ok, just figured if the fatboy, night train and deuce have their own discussion us heritage owners should too. So, I'll start off with one thing I know I may change...what do you guys/gals think about the stock handlebars? I personally am having trouble getting used to them. I had Apes on my sporty and I'm used to that.

I just got my heritage in December so I don't have much miles on it yet...dang snow. I don't want real high apes...maybe 12 inch or so. Not sure if I have to change cables for that or if stock will be ok. i think I will have to go to a 2+ or 4+ overstock cables, maybe.

Reactions: OldBiker52
#2 · (Edited)
need to raise floorboards ??

I have on '03 Heritage Classic..well, if your Significant Other is looking for the floorboards to be a little higher, say about 1 1/2" well I have the fix. Instead of the brackets HD supplies large Hex mount which curve downward there is a set of brackets which is straight. This is where you get the 1 1/2" rise from. HD sells these brackets for about $74 each $148 total in Black....But Custom Chrome sells the set for $123 in Chrome, and Discount Cycle Parts gets about $91 for this set. Now if you go to the Catalogue for Custom Chrome section 3, footpegs and foot controls, about page 21 you will see a pic of 3 brackets, the one for the touring models 87-92 is the one you want... Part # 98296. This worked for me.
I hope this link works.

http://download.customchrome.com/catalog2005/s_03_05.pdf

#605 ·
I have on '03 Heritage Classic..well, if your Significant Other is looking for the floorboards to be a little higher, say about 1 1/2" well I have the fix. Instead of the brackets HD supplies large Hex mount which curve downward there is a set of brackets which is straight. This is where you get the 1 1/2" rise from. HD sells these brackets for about $74 each $148 total in Black....But Custom Chrome sells the set for $123 in Chrome, and Discount Cycle Parts gets about $91 for this set. Now if you go to the Catalogue for Custom Chrome section 3, footpegs and foot controls, about page 21 you will see a pic of 3 brackets, the one for the touring models 87-92 is the one you want... Part # 98296. This worked for me.
I hope this link works.

http://download.customchrome.com/catalog2005/s_03_05.pdf
fantastic this is why i got on this forum site today and you were the first thing i read my wife is only 5' 1" and i was looking for some kind of passenger highway peg for her but i'll try this if you ave anything on the highway peg let me know

#3 ·
By all means!! I had an '01 FXDL and just out grew it. I now have an '04 FLSTC glacier pearl white and I love it. Vance $ Hines BigShots Staggered, SE air, 95" BB, S&S 510g cams, chromed out front end including hand controls, Chubby 508 bars, flames theme floor boards, pass floor boards/grips, chrome pulley, engine guard, other misc chrome doo-dads. Prolly pulling the heads off in a month or so for porting. I picked up a tour pak, so this bike can be a tourer or can strip it down for a sharp cruiser. I didn't like the mini apes, and love the low wide chubbys. Wouldn't trade this bike for any.

#4 ·
Looks great! Actually those stock bars aren't mini-apes. they are called something like modified touring bars. Mini-apes have more bend downward in the grips instead of back. Anyhow, I am not crazy about them. Yours look cool. I'm used to higher apes so that will probibly be what I want. You got the Leather tour pack? I like how they match the bags.

#565 ·
Thoughts on Heritage handlebars

I kept having to pull them back to be able to comfortably reach the controls on long rides. Need to have some bend in the elbows to ride comfortable.

I ended up buying the HD chrome Road King bars, installed a set of Softail Deluxe risers and clamp. Looks great and very comfortable arm position. Found the risers and clamp on Ebay. Chrome Road King standard bars were reasonable priced. I had to change the brake line to the front caliper but clutch and throttle cables were fine.

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah...I got the pipes, stage 1 and power command installed as soon as i bought it. The dealer was really making me a great deal....immeadiately took 1500 off MSRP on the 04 models. He was really trying to sell because he had 4 heritages from 04 not sold! Then he looked at the parts I wanted and said that the parts and labor were free except the pipes...and he knocked 100 buck off of them. I saved myself a total of 2,300 by getting the 04 model instead of the 05. I couldn't pass that deal up!

#7 ·
I have an '05 Heritage. First one off the truck in July. Just over 4200 miles now. I've got the Amsoil waiting in the garage for when I hit the 5k mark. I'm going to try to do my own service.

During the winter I mostly get to ride on the weekends. Unfortunately, it has been very wet the last 2 weekends so I've been spending a lot of time in the garage. I enjoy tinkering with it and adding do-dads occasionally when I can't ride.

Mostly stock but here's what I've added:
Stage 1
2into1 ProPipe
Heated gear
ISO grips
Chrome footboards/cover - chrome brackets
windshield bag (priceless)
A bunch of little chrome covers - fender skirt, banjo, clutch, master cylinders, switch housing, etc.
Kuryakyn running/brake light module

This past weekend I was going to take the backrest off to see what it would look like with a solo seat but leaving the bags on. Damn the MOCO and their red loctite. Stripped a T40 on the fender strut. Have ordered an impact driver.

I'm going to change the torx screws in the inspection and derby covers this week. Torx be damned!

TL

#9 ·
Good thread & good info guys.
After thowing a mess of parts at it, I traded in my Deuce that I just could not stay comfortable on. I bought my new Heritage in November. I was sold on the "High Roller" custom paint. And yeah, I paid a ton for this bike. Have made a couple mods including chroming out the front end, and Kuryakyn ISO pegs/grips all the way round. Had the dealer do the front-end and Stage I, w/ SE II tubes and re-map. Almost have the bike where I want it. Tween travel and weather, still under 500 miles. Riding this weekend 4 sure.
Have yet to even see the bike with the bags on. Finally picked up the qwik detach stuff for the bags from the stealer yesterday. A little pissed in that one of the 3 different 'HD parts' I needed was a 'Bare Backs' (non-HD) packet of bolts and stuff. Did I 'F' up and spend too much here? Apparently there are other kits I was not aware of. Anybody have any experience/tips in hanging the qwik detach stuff?

tlewis, yeah, I got the part about the Torx! :eek:

sfarson ... tall here as well, the bars are just right! :D

#10 ·
Yep, LOVE my Heritage! I've got an 04' teal and silver, with almost 17,000 miles so far. I commute 45 miles each way to work in Seattle. I also wouldn't trade it for any other bike. Mods include:

Flanders 11" buckhorn handlebars
SE slip ons and air cleaner
Back-off tail light modulator
Got Saggy Bags inserts
Lock Your Leathers inserts
new HD prism headlamp
light visors
old-style tank badge
Metzler 880 white walls
studded mudflap
HD nostalgic grips
nostalgic horn cover (round chrome)
nostalgic air cleaner cover (round chrome)
front and rear fender rails

As you can tell, I've tried to make my bike nostalgic, as close to the hydraglide as possible. Most people are confused, and can't tell what year it is.. I like it that way!

#12 ·
Looking good! It was 40 degrees here today so I had to take a ride! Now my bike has 135 miles on it! I think it had 110 before. My fingers and face got numb so I headed home earlier than I wanted to, but it was a nice little ride anyhow!

#18 ·
Agreed AC. That is one sweet looking ride!!!!
Dunno why so many folk fool around with the other stuff. Of course, my first go since my '90 Sporty was with an '04 Deuce. Yeah, I was captivated by that skinny wheel on the Deuce. (Gawd I could run no hands for miles on a straight-away.) The more I rode, the more I loved the road, but the more my ass hurt. Something had ta give. The Heritage came along.
Funny thing is, I ride with one guy who has a fatty who originally set out to buy a Heritage, and another guy who rides a road king who had set out to buy a Heritage. I ultimately did. Man, I'll never look back.

Something about a Heritage.
Something about a Heritage.

The mods you can do to bring the bike to you are its trademark. I'm glad I found it.
Cheers!
-Bud

#19 ·
I have a 04 Heritage and love it, the more I ride the more I want to, been sort of slim picking's here in Tn. latley though, here are some picture's of my ride.

#836 ·
Greetings Tnford27
Yep, havn't really gotten the opportunity to put any miles on my new
( to me) 2003 Heritage yet, here in East Tennessee....been too cold for an old gheezer to venture out. Looking forward to the chance to ride come warmer weather, as you know lots of great areas here! For now satisfied with making small changes to the bike and getting it ready. I am curious, have heard a lot of rumors about a problem with premature wear on Timing Chain Tensioners Rubber Pads, have you experienced that?
Regards
Ed

#20 ·
I would think most Heritage owners have eventually went with a quick release saddlebag system. The Heritage looks great without bags. What have the riders here done with their Heritage saddlebag system? I am thinking I need the www.gotsaggybags.com system, but have seen saddlebag inserts on ebay that seem to be the same. Who here has used these inserts and has anyone bought the ebay ones?

#737 ·
I have an 07 Heritage, have installed bag inserts from "Leather Lid Inserts" and they are great! I also have many friends in the area that have done the same. Contact company owner Ray Gordon @WWW.LeatherLidInserts.com or 239-5433140. Great guy, very knowledgeable, and a Heritage owner himself, Good Luck!! Tennis Bob.

#21 ·
Here is my 91 with 10" mini apes from wild one. Not too high just right for me
Did you have to change cables and wires for those bars? I want to get 12 inch apes but I think I may have to change cables for that...just wondering if the 10 inch apes need to have the cables changed.

Here is a picture of mine...I only got 135 miles on it now!

#22 ·
daver3298 said:
Ok, just figured if the fatboy, night train and deuce have their own discussion us heritage owners should too. So, I'll start off with one thing I know I may change...what do you guys/gals think about the stock handlebars? I personally am having trouble getting used to them. I had Apes on my sporty and I'm used to that.

I just got my heritage in December so I don't have much miles on it yet...dang snow. I don't want real high apes...maybe 12 inch or so. Not sure if I have to change cables for that or if stock will be ok. i think I will have to go to a 2+ or 4+ overstock cables, maybe.
I love everything about my Heritage except the stock handlebars. They are okay but I'm sure some mini apes would put my hands in a better riding position for those long hauls. I just can't make up my mind which bars to get. As of now, I'm leaning towards the 12" mini apes from Wild1.

#23 ·
miles to go said:
I love everything about my Heritage except the stock handlebars. They are okay but I'm sure some mini apes would put my hands in a better riding position for those long hauls. I just can't make up my mind which bars to get. As of now, I'm leaning towards the 12" mini apes from Wild1.
Call Wild1. Their tech people are great. They'll give the pros and cons of
each bar you're thinking of and recommend a bar for you based on your size
and type of riding.

#24 ·
Gotta love a Heritage. Trade my fxd in on one june of 04.
The best way to describe the difference would be getting out of a mustang and getting into a cadillac. The bars seem to fit me just fine after tilting them back a bit. Found some new rims I just could'nt pass up , Becase I hate cleaning spokes.

Mitch

#26 ·
Love the bike, hate the plate

Got my first HD in December and love it! Almost 400 miles on it so far. I love the heritage classic, but dont like the license plate on the rear fender. Has anyone seen the license plate moved to another location? It would look so much better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.