V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 Heritage was delivered with a full tank of gas. Ive managed to get 110 miles with it on the few good days Ive had to ride it. Well, the gas guage is already lit and there is less than a 1/4 tank left. I was expecting better gas milage. Is this a break in thing or should I be concerned. My riding has been all back roads, under 45 mph and Ive been taking it easy because of the break in period. The only mods to the motor are stage 1 and SE 16 guage DB exhaust.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Are you basing the 1/4 tank left on the low fuel light being lit, or by visual inspection? The low fuel lights are notorious for being inaccurate. Either way, your mileage should improve as you complete the break in period.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have a 03 FLSTCI and get around 45 mpg depending how I'm riding. when cruising at 45 mph I get a bit closer to 50 mpg. It's still breaking in and milage sucks until you get more miles on it. 1000-1500 or so. a strong head wind will eat gas faster. also get used to the trip odometer and doing the math to figure when to refill. the gas gauges aren't very accurate.

good luck and ride safe.

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
My 2003 Heritage continued to put out better power and I think mileage through 8000 miles. I get about 40MPG now (18k miles).

Brownjams...how you gettin' 45-50MPG? I've got Screamin' eagle air cleaner with the torque mufflers (we've discussed that before). I've modified the stage I download (105HO103-D0.MT6) with the SERT (v 4.5.0) to reduce decel popping. My bike runs great, but if I lean it out more, I can get to maybe 42MPG under the right conditions. If you are using a SERT would you consider emailing me the MAP so I can have a look at your set-up?

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,015 Posts
THEBEAR said:
My 06 Heritage was delivered with a full tank of gas. Ive managed to get 110 miles with it on the few good days Ive had to ride it. Well, the gas guage is already lit and there is less than a 1/4 tank left. I was expecting better gas milage. Is this a break in thing or should I be concerned. My riding has been all back roads, under 45 mph and Ive been taking it easy because of the break in period. The only mods to the motor are stage 1 and SE 16 guage DB exhaust.
I go about 150 then the light comes on. It's usually pretty accurate on my bike. I was expecting to get better gas mileage as well after reading all the posts on this forum. Oh well, it's still better than a cager.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
I get about 40 mpg on the road. My gas gauge sticks on full until it is just about to fumes and then it drops like a rock and the light comes on. I don't rely on it at all, but I'm taking it in for warranty repair next Tuesday. (The warranty expires on the 26th.)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've been getting 32-36 in mostly city riding and 42-46 in mostly highway riding.

I seem to have picked up 2-3 extra MPG in the past month...perhaps the stations have switched from winter blend gas to summer blend?

·
Registered
901 Posts
My '05 has the same setup as yours. My break-in mileage (varying speed but below 45mph) was between 35 & 42mpg.

After 1K I started seeing improvements and at this point I'm seeing between 41 -47 regularly. On extended rides I've been around 52mpg 4 times.

Regardless, I start thinking "fuel-up" at 130 miles.

As for the gas gauge, let me suggest the Kuryakyn LED combination gas-gauge-and-voltmeter. It uses the same sensor so it's just as inaccurate as stock - but much cooler looking. :laugh:

·
Dog on a Hog
195 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one - my 05 off the lot got around 40. With the stage II, I'm down to around 35, mostly on highway riding.

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
I get about 41 highway... Stage I SE pipes and K&N filter.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I didn't mention what I have to get the 45-50 mpg. I have SE air cleaner with torque slip ons and dealer reflash. yes it may be lean and use less fuel, but I'm happy with how it runs for the money I spent on this set up. a sert, PC3 or such will use more fuel.

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Thanks Browjams for the info. It seemed a good idea to richen up the stage one MAP especially here in the South where it can get hot in the summer. I'm probably giving up a few MPGs (tank range is really what I care about).
Peace

·
Registered
33 Posts
205 miles, took 4.3 gallons. I don't ever look at the guage, just start looking for a station at about 170 miles. The low fuel light comes on anywhere between 130 miles and 170. On the 205 mile tank, it never came on.

·
Registered
159 Posts
250 miles. 03 Night Train w/ a carb, SE AC and Samson BG II Short Slashers.

Just refilled it yesterday... crappy weather, crappy gas, been doing a lot of in town riding and "test and tune" w/ it.
I hit the reserve at 178 miles- not so good, but when the weather improves, the mileage improves.
Something else I've noticed is when riding out of state (like Nevada, Oregon, etc.- that's where I got the multi-250 mile tanks) I seem to pick up 2-5 mpg?? Who knows, maybe it's the non- California blend?

·
Registered
33 Posts
BluegrassBoy said:
So what's the farthest anyone's gone without running dry?
Riding fast across west Texas on a cold day with a very strong headwind = unexpectedly poor gas mileage. Coasted into an ancient filling station in a tiny burg called Hartley where the bike died at the pump; Sunday morning, station deserted. Amazingly, the one gas pump had a cardtrol. Swiped the card and put in 5.2 gals. My lucky day!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts