V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't think this fit into either Touring or Softail forums so I figured I'd post here.

After many years of riding Sportys and a short stint on a VTX1800 I have decided I am going to move up. Getting married next year and my soon to be wife loves riding so we want something bigger and more tourable. I have been tossing around the Heritage Classic and RK Custom. Originally I was looking at the Street Glide but my fiance was not comfortable on it. Which means I was not either if you know what I mean. I test rode a RKC and thought it rode nice. This weekend I am taking out my buddies Heritage for the day at his suggestion. I already rode another buddies Fatboy so I have a pretty good feel for what the Heritage will be like.

My question is were any of you in the same boat as me with these two scoots as your main choices?? Which one did you choose and why that one over the other. Any feedback is much appreciated

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Be sure whatever you get, your S.O. is comfortable on it. Unless you like to ride alone.

When I decided, I too had mixed emotions between the RK and the Heritage.
But one day I walked into the local dealer and they had this Smokey Gold RK Classic on the floor. That was it for me. It was screaming my name. The rest is history.

YB

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
You are going to get biased answers on this from the softail riders (like me) and the touring riders that ride Road Kings. Ultimately you will have to ride them both and decide.

I am a fan of the Road King Classic over the Custom just by the look. Both have larger bags than what comes on the Heritage. Both of the bikes you mentioned ride good.

I say just ride as many as you can, make your decision, and roll on down the road.

Good luck in whatever you get.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Just a matter of whether you like the "ride in" feel of the softail or the "ride on" feel of the RK. I went with the softail cuz i like the looks and the feel. Can't go wrong with either. You are wise to test ride each first before buying. A lot of people buy something strictly based on looks then change everything to try and make it fit.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I upgraded from a sporty last year. I was torn between the Softail Deluxe, Heritage and the RK custom. After looking and testing all of them, deciding on colors, options, and just plain what the OL and me both could agree on. (Yeah, Yeah...it's *MY* bike...but hell......she makes almost twice as much a year as me so........lets just say she had input..:whistle: ). Anyway we both agreed that the custom was the best fit. I loved the "sporty" look of a sportster but wanted the ability to have a passenger actually be comfortable. With the SE air cleaner, wild pig pipes, and Power Commander the road king has the umph of the sporty....but with the extra weight and size she is a pleasure to ride single or two-up. To me it was the perfect of both worlds. Sporty bike/pratical bike. Bottom line is...take opinions on bike selection with a grain of salt. We're all biased towards our praticular breed of bike....(Softail, sporster, hell even rice burners....). Do your research....sit/ride the bike. Pick what you like. What feels right too you.......That way........YOUR the one who is happy......

Good luck.........

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do like the "ride-in" feel of the Softail. I felt very comfortable on my buddies Fatboy. The RK I was a little leary of on the test ride. Of course when you are riding with someone from the dealership on a pre-dertimied route it is really hard to get a true feel for it.

As far as my s/o she was not comfortable on the RK or RK Classic but was on the Custom just sitting on them in the showroom. It had alot to do with the position of the bags. And with the Street Glide it was the bags that made her uncomfortable. I really didn't like the feel of the ride with a faring anyway so that choice was quickly eliminated.

I guess I am looking more for the pros and cons of each model. I know only I can make the final decision and wouldn't want any of you to spend my money for me. :)

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
These guys are right. Buy the bike for your own (and O.L) intrinsic gratification.

You have narrowed the choices down to the right bikes. The Ulta's probably the best comfort for the passenger (not one of your picks I know)

I went for the police version of the roadking. It was used, had low miles (under 4k) and was around (*^&%). The non-cop bikes were 19 and up used.

I have been very happy with my choice.

I would like more motors in the garage. If I had to have only one H-D...I am happy with the FLHPI.

You were right, people who picked the right bike for themselves become bias when recommending bikes to others.

The Choice is yours. You can choose again. It is not a marriage (the bike purchase, I mean) Best of luck.

·
OLDBOY
784 Posts
I ride an 04 Heritage and in my opinion if you want the more comfortable ride go for the RK. The touring frame is much more rideable longer distances. The softail transmits more road feel and can feel a bit more harsh.

Most of the older folks chose a touring frame over the softail not because they are old, but because they are more experienced riders and know the better bike.

I know my next bike will be an RK, just dont know if it will be a custom, clasic, or standard.

But I expect most of the other softail riders wont agree with me.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Have a Heritage and a EG.
Two up the EG, just like a RK, hands down.
Just me, the Heritage, looks and style are unmatched.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Older Riders are more Experienced?

I wonder if that's true about older riders being more experienced. I'm 57 and have been riding since the mid 1960s, so I guess I would be considered experienced but from what I've seen, I'm a minority. Most of the RK and EG riders I meet that are my age are not that experienced. They are baby boomers and got into the sport because of our generation's disposable income. I've owned the big bikes and the small ones. I loved my 68 Triumph and I love my 05' XL1200C. Besides those two, none of my scoots have been unforgettable.
Don't get me wrong, there is no doubt the RK is more comfortable than a Heritage, Dyna WG or Sporty. If I was just ridding the turnpikes, I'd own an EG, but the Heritages, Springers, Dyna WGs and Sporties have a soul and distinguishable personalities. Long distance comfort is not the only attribute some of us look for in a scoot. I wish I still had that uncomfortable, cantankerous 68 Triumph parked next to the 2 HDs in my garage. Some of us prefer to drive Caddys and some prefer Stangs.

·
Harleys don't leak oil !
469 Posts
I was moving up[from a sportster] this winter as well and was looking to buy a heritage, damn near did but,then there she was ;a big black an beautiful flhr.The rk had less miles and was 3yrs. newer than the hertiage.Rk won .I've only had it out once for a test ride but,this Sat.looks like I'll be out bonding with her.My wife loves it,It's a caddy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I went from a sporty to a Road King. Had the Sporty and sold it, waited about a year and a half and wanted another bike so I bought a RK. When I had the Sporty my buddy had a RK but I thought it was way too big of a bike for me, but after buying it (without even test riding it) I am well pleased with it whether I am solo or two up. I can handle and manuver it almost as easy as the Sporty (I don't think you can ever say as easy as a Sporty), plenty of power, love the bigger gas tank (fewer stops) and it is wayyyyyyyyy more comfortable to ride more than 50 miles on. Choose what you like but from a guy who had a Sporty first and went to a RK you won't be disappointed.

·
OLDBOY
784 Posts
honus402 said:
Long distance comfort is not the only attribute some of us look for in a scoot. I wish I still had that uncomfortable, cantankerous 68 Triumph parked next to the 2 HDs in my garage. Some of us prefer to drive Caddys and some prefer Stangs.
Agree 100%, but Monstermile said he was looking for confort for him and his wife. And yes my FLSTC has personallity and style that I just wont trade not even for a new RK. Thats why I dont have the RK now, I have to wait till I can afford both.

Your spot on saying a lot of latecomers chose the touring scoots too, but like I said earlier, all the guys I know that were flying colors and riding Harleys since the 60s and 70s all ride now the RKs. I kinda get a kick out it, all the old timers still sporting colors, patches, and leathers from way back now all sport windscreened baggers.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
My Road King Classic is almost like two bikes. It's got the touring frame and air suspension which makes it great for loaded up (or two-up) longer rides. OTOH, I can remove the windshield, backrest/luggage rack and passenger seat and have a fine cruiser for local bike nights and such.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
I think you're on the right path - there's alot of people that make a decision by simply walkthing through the showroom without riding and knowing what they want - very bad idea indeed.

Also, you might want to consider the mods your friends and others may have put on their bikes. A lot of us say we're gonna keep our bikes stock, but that never happens. If you have some concerns about the King, it can always be mod'ed to fit your needs - depending on the poketbook that is.

I had a Dyna (e.g. my moniker), and was split between the Deluxe and the Classic. I rode both models and found that I liked the RK's smooth ride and it was way more comfortable for my wife, so long as we replaced the bag bars with the more streamlined bar (it allows the passenger more leg room). Ask your wife if that's what the problem is....if so, then check out HD Part No: 49087-01. Of course there's a ton of other vendor parts too. Just check em out.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had to make this choice last fall. Paula and I both had Sportys and loved them. When she had to sell hers due to wrist problems (truly sad story), we tried 2-up on my Sporty and quickly decided that we needed a bigger bike.

Long story short, WE sat on and rode several different bikes...Heritage, RK and Glides, over about a 3 month period before making the choice of the Heritage Classic. Basically, it came down to Paula saying that she was the most comfortable on the back of the Heritage.

She had to talk me into the Heritage Classic...I wasn't really in to the look of studs. I really wanted a RK Classic.

Now that I've had the Heritage for 3 months (a little over 2,000 miles so far), I'm happy with the choice (like I really have a choice now! :D ).

Yeah, the Touring bikes have a smoother ride, though it's not Caddy-like. There is a difference, thats a given. Having said that, we find the Heritage ride to be just fine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts