V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a lot of different bikes and the stock seat on just about every one of them ranged from mediocre to ultimate monkeybutt maker. The BMWs I owned -- R1100RT, R1100GS, K75 -- were among the worst even though they're famed for being touring wonder machines. So you can imagine my surprise when I got my first Harley -- a 2000 FXST -- and found it had the best motorcycle seat I've ever tried, including aftermarket models. Doesn't look like anything special but I can ride for hours and hours without any posterior pain. So here's to MoCo for making a great seat :cheers:

·
Registered
80 Posts
does it have an after market seat
because i have an 05 and the seat isnt that comfy

·
professional doof
690 Posts
OMFG man you must have had your ass in some really shitty seats. the stock seat for my '05 is on a shelf in the garage and isn't about to go back on the bike after getting the lepera bare bones w/ gel. i will admit that i put it back on a couple of times to take a fine lady friend of mine out for a ride, but found it so uncomfortable that i couldn't wait to get back and get it off. you should really try a few aftermarket seats. there are much better ones that the MoCo makes. yes you'll opay a hefty price for them but your ass cheeks will thank you for it.
josh

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If my a$$ begins to ache I'll take you up on your advice but for now riding the FXST is 100% pain-free in the posterior dept :thumbsup: Wouldn't mind some floor boards though:hmmm:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice looking bike. That seat sure looks alot thicker than any stock seat I've seen. Are you sure the previous owner didn't upgrade? Jim

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
You must have a tough rump. My '04 FXSTI had its seat replaced with a Mustang early on. I believe the stock one is in the attic somewhere. :D

Floorboards on our bike wouldn't look too good to me. You might look at the Kuryakin site. They sell a stirrup (heal support) setup that I did put on my bike. Not as comfy as a full blown floorboard but better than just a peg.

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
My stock road glide seat never saw my butt, and as of today the Harley "tallboy seat joins it on a shelf. neither one worked for me.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Here's another very unhappy with stock. My electraglide stocker was comfortable for all of 15 minutes till you sank through the too soft stock pad and were riding on the seat pan. Even if it had been comfortable, I would have replaced it as I think pillow leather seats are the ugliest thing you can put on a bike.

I love my Mustang touring saddle.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
it almost looks like the sundowner that I have on my FXD...hmmm:hmmm:

It's a heck of alot better than stock, but I'm sure there's a lot better out there.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Stock seat?

I met one guy that told me the stock seat on his 05 RK Classic was a comfortable seat.I realize we're all different, but in my opinion that told me one of three things.
A: He's never ridden on a comfortable seat.
B: He never rides more than 50 miles at a pop.
C: He's busy paying for the bike and can't afford a new seat right now.

I've got an 05 RK Classic, and the stock seat didn't make it past the first 1500 miles. The only reason it lasted that long was 'cause I hadn't decided what I wanted to replace it with!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Everyone is different...

My buddy has a 04 FXST, I have a 05 FXST.

The stock seat on his hurts me just look at, I LOVE my Mustang seat, best thing I have ever purchased for any bike..

my 2 cents
{salute(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum but this topic hits near and dear to my...butt. This fall my wife and I rode 2-up to Gatlinburg TN. on a weekend trip. (About 500 miles that weekend). The stock seat feels OK for the first 50 miles, then it is like sitting on a bumpy rock IMO. My stock seat on my Ultra is taking a one way trip to the garage shelf this winter. I'm leaning toward the Sundowner seat right now, heard a lot of good things about it, but am also considering the Mustang. Any opinions are welcome.
Thanks,
Jerry

Sorry for the fuzzy pic (dig. camcorder capture), getting new dig. cam will update soon.

·
CROM ICE
132 Posts
Hey 2004 Ultra, you need to get the Mustang Tour seat.I have a 05 Ultra and after a half hour i was trying to get comfortable and could'nt. I got the Mustang and what a difference.Leave the back-rest. The tour seat goes fine with stock back-rest. It makes a HUGE difference. Good luck

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I put a Sundowner on mine. I only put a few hundred miles on this one it is better than the stock but time will tell if it gets any better. I started to go with a Mustang cause I put one on my 05 Road King Custom and my butt was in heaven. I read good reviews on the Sundowner so I decided to try it but I might go back to a Mustang later on.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys got me curious so I pulled off my seat and had a look. No typical HD part number underneat. Just a letter or two I can't make out, followed by SCO, and below the number 089535. But I have seen several other FXSTs of the same year here in Japan with the same seat so I'm guessing its stock....:dunno:

·
Registered
26 Posts
seat advice

Hope the collective wisdom here can help.............I am looking at either a softtail or wideglide for my next bike...rode a vrod and loved it but too cramped and uncomfy two up..she was not impressed at all!!!!....the wideglide seat looks comfy as does the softtail...any thoughts on the better of the two for two up riding? maybe weekends..that sort of thing....any guidance would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
brett11 said:
Hope the collective wisdom here can help.............I am looking at either a softtail or wideglide for my next bike...rode a vrod and loved it but too cramped and uncomfy two up..she was not impressed at all!!!!....the wideglide seat looks comfy as does the softtail...any thoughts on the better of the two for two up riding? maybe weekends..that sort of thing....any guidance would be appreciated

My wife enjoys riding around on the softail since I fitted a sissybar. I had a Roadking loaner for a week once and she complained about the vibration so I think the softail's counterbalanced motor is a plus.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts