V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I posted this pic and info about my recent purchase on the Evo board. Its a 1998 FXSTC. I currently have a metric and also a 81 Lowrider, which has been giving me shovel head problems....I wont get into it however.

I just wanted to introduce myself over here to you guys as I've never posted on this side of the house. I really didn't see a Softail Custom board here, so Im posting in the general board.

The guy needed the cash, (don't we all), he had it for sale for 13500 on Harleytrader.net and he didn't get a lot of respones, so he lowered it to 9k and put it on cycletrader, which is where I saw it. We came to a little bit lower price agreement and I brought it home the other day.

It has a Stage one kit and some Accu tronix fwd controls, wide tire kit and some other little things. He wasn't into cleaning the chrome much, but its a clean bike.

The only problems it has, from what he has told me, is the green neutral light is intermittent and there is a rattle noise, which he thougt was the rig job he had to do for his fwd exhaust heat shield.

I found the rattle goes away when I hit the front brakes...and the fwd pads are getting close to needing to be replaced. I am wondering if the noise is simply the pads being worn or some other caliper issue? There isn't any free movement when I try to jiggle the caliper....I am changing the pads anyway and I will see then if it fixes it.

Anyway, just thought I'd show you guys my "new" bike. It drives really well and I like it a lot.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I really like it. Well.... maybe except for that seat. Never been too much for the "pillow look", especially on a sporty looking bike like that. Sounds like you got a good deal, though!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man...I agree 100% about the seat, thats one of the first things to go....first a new front tire, wheel, brakes....then seat, then exhaust. Thats it for now. My wife will kill me, I've put a couple G's in the shovelhead, thats in repairs and aftermarket parts.

I rode the FXSTC today, twice, and it was sweet. There is a big difference between this bike and my shovel, although there will always be a special place in my heart for the old shovel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts