V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...after 21/2 years with my Ultra I sure would love to know how to change the oil filter without making a freaking mess everywhere!

I've tried making a little funnel with aluminum foil nope, drilling the filter and trying to drain it first, nope...what do you all do?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I cut up one those 1 gallon plastic containers that windshield washer fluid comes in and made it so it wraps around the bottom of the filter.
It not perfect but it helps.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
some have taken the filter box, undone the bottom, flattened it, tucked it under the filter then undone the filter. Catches most if not all the mess, you'll still need a drain bucket. There was a sticky in here not long ago about that. Try a search, there were pictures too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I put a plastic bag that bread comes in over the filter and adapter, then as I unscrew the filter I hold the opening of the bag closed as much as posible. All the oil drains to the bottom of the plastic bag. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
My favorite - cut one of the small plastic soda/water bottles into a "scoop" shape with about a 1/2'" lip at the bottom. It fits perfectly under the filter, and since you still have the bottle cap on you can use that to drain any excess oil if need be.

When the filter comes off you can drop it right into the bottle and not spill a drop of oil.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I use the cardboard box from a 12 pack of coke. I tear it in half lengthwize then I slip one end of it under the filter and down over the left footboard. Kinda like a sluceway I slide the other half under the fist half to extend it past the floorboard and into my drain pan. I loosen the filter and the oil flows down over the cardboard and into the bucket. No oil on the motor and I just throw the cardboard out when done. I hope this helps it works good and is easy for me. I think the oil filter box trick is only for dynas and bike who dont have the voltage regulator in the way. :yes:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have tried everything under the sun. Nothing works. I now just slide the drain pan under it and unscrew the filter. Spray some brake cleaner on everything to clean the oil off. Wash the bike afterwards.

·
ALOHA, marooned Doof
249 Posts
2 litter Bottle!!!!

GrayGlider said:
My favorite - cut one of the small plastic soda/water bottles into a "scoop" shape with about a 1/2'" lip at the bottom. It fits perfectly under the filter, and since you still have the bottle cap on you can use that to drain any excess oil if need be.

When the filter comes off you can drop it right into the bottle and not spill a drop of oil.
Milehog said:
Use a 2 liter bottle.
I just used this method completing the 1000 mile breaking service. NOT ONE DROP OUTSIDE the container...it is all in the cut... form the bottle to look like a scoop (as stated earlier)....with the cap on that bottle has the ability to hold plenty of oil....(of course I drained the ...P***out of the holes first) RMC_SS_LDO (Allen) was over showing me some ropes prior to returning to the mainland....Allen was alittle confused when I first started and wanted to try this method... guess he was having trouble visualizing just how it would work...... Allen had always used the folded cardboard box that the new filter came in.... He was actually surprized at how great it worked.

Best part.... someone is always throwing one away so the 2 litter bottle is cheap......Not spilling oil on the engine for clean-up later...less down time...More ride...Priceless!

Punky
Smokey Gold & Vivid Black

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
I use one of those long plastic shoe horns for use with cowboy boots. It is about 18 inches long 1 3/4 inches at the widest. I slip the wide end under the filter and the narrow end sits on top of the foot board. Works great. I also use starting fluid to clean things up.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Could someone please post a picture of the "2 liter Scoop" so I do it right next time?

Thanks,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts