V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Some of the claims are believable. Idle lower and torque increase of 500%. They are talking really low RPM. What torque is your bike putting out at 300 rpm? Let's say 8 lb-ft. A 500% increase would bring it to 48 lb-ft. This might permit you to move the bike at a lower RPM. I don't know the exact numbers for torque at 300 rpm, but you get the idea. The numbers sound radical, but, in context, they don't seem so. Question is, who cares what's going on at 300rpm? I, myself, don't know enough to care.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Valves

We saw these in development years ago.
I, myself would like to see what they do up on our dyno, on a build.
Scott

·
<><
3,971 Posts
The big picture concept is right. Variable valve timing is the current fix, but still deals with extreme ramps. If not the ramps, what opens/closes these valves?

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
Scott
Hey Scott, check it out:

"WE will design the valve that works best for you at no charge!* Just give us a valve or print with travel specifications and your custom valves will be shipped to you in about four weeks. Go ahead, test them out. We guarantee your satisfaction.

*OmniValves provides custom valves to qualified customers at no charge. E-mail us today to see if you qualify."

I'd love to hear a Harley at 200-300RPM.
Putt................putt.....putt.......................putt.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
Scott

Scott, I would like to see what these do as well.

Who cares if they allow lower idle speeds, that's not the point. At current idle speed they claim a large increase in torque with much lower fuel requirements. Seems to me that would be very easy to verify with a dyno. If true, sounds like a great performance upgrade.

Regards,
NC

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I think they are the equivalent of snake oil and here's why:

1. They are essentially saying that these operate as atmospheric valves. The seat opening controlled by air flow moving the ring somewhat independently of the valvetrain position. Atmospheric valving CAN work (just a light spring and no valvetrain works for the intake of "Poppin' Johnny" engines of the old days. But the design went away because flow-operating valves are very limited in operational speed, thus they are limiting to RPM and inefficient in any modern engine. ( Fully atmospheric valves also severely limit attainable compression ratio but that would not apply to these new valves because these would apparently be closed by the valvetrain.)

2. Despite the claims, atmospheric valves are terrible at controlling reversion of flow. The valve will 'float" off the seat just due to inertia and the flow of gases will not force the valve closed until after the gases have mostly escaped. This is the reason atmo valves were abandoned nearly a century ago in automobiles.

3. The death of these valves (lets assume for grins that 1 & 2 above were not a problem ) Would be heat. The rings and or the stems are going to melt down quickly because they are seperate pieces. The ring will not be able to use the stem as a heat sink when the valve is open, and the stem will not be able to lose heat to the seat when the valve is closed.

I would love to see a real test of these!
Go Hillside!

·
Registered
26 Posts
JoeyGilbert said:
you will not have enough oil pressure to lube the upper end!
hello oil at1000rpms with a stock pump crap with a bypass spring and a o7 pump or feuling you get right around 32 at 1000 hello :RTFB: what about the charging the battery that will not work right
let see some numbers at 2500to 6200

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Interesting, dimples seem to work on golf balls. You 'spose you'd have to yell "Fore!" before starting the motor?

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've read the patent for the dimples on the piston tops. This has come and
gone in the automotive world (although some still do it).
I have heard some secretive discussion about different shapes on valves
but had not seen any production valves offered with dimples until this.
The attempt to reduce laminar flow and or dead spots (slow flow) is done to
keep the fuel from coming out of the mixture as droplets.
I'm ignorant (so ignore me) but with the intake valve being the tight spot in
the intake track, do you really want to do anything that disrupts flow?

·
GoFast!
263 Posts
How long before the dimples get loaded up with deposits?

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
skidmark316 said:
How long before the dimples get loaded up with deposits?
Didn't you read the fine print at the bottom of the page? :spank:
"Replace valves every 20 hours"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts