V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Woo-hoo
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never rode a bike before till this last weekend (May 17-19th). I took a M/C safety Course. Passed the riding and class room exersizes. I enjoyed every minute of it . They teach u alot. In the short time I was there. I was in the last of the exercizes when I was doing the figure 8 u-turn when I lost my balance. The bike landed on top of me. I hit my head on the blacktop, and have a big bruise on my leg. other than that I'm a-ok.

Have a great day everybody

jb :D :D

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
OUCH J_B!

Glad you passed the course and you are alright!
Now that you have the fundamentals in riding, you will only get more experienced over time. Take it slow and don't try to do any aggressive riding.

If you ride with a group, do NOT feel compelled to ride at speeds you feel uncomfortable with. If they are your friends, they will keep you in their rear view and will wait on you, even if it means pulling over to let you catch up.

Hope that bruise gets better!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt too badly, j-b.

NOT trying to be smart or cute, but are you repeating the class? My recollection serves me that if a msf student seriously dumped a bike the student was afforded the opportunity to repeat the class. Maybe that was just a requirement out here.

By the way, it takes a lot of guts to admit you dropped the bike. I suspect if the truth be told, many a member of the H/D Forum may have dropped a bike in some form or another over the years.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Well, I'll admit it!:eek: Back when I was riding that Honda 550 I deopped it coming out of the driveway when the left highway bar caught the bumper of my El Camino, Down I went!:rolleyes:
Also, had an old buddy who loved everything HD but did'nt have any equilibrium, the fluid in our ears that provides balance. Anyway, someone let him take their Sporty for a ride and when he came to a stop at at red light, two chickies pulled aside of him. He was too busy trying to impress them that he forgot to put his feet ddown and the bike fell over, The babes laughed and drove off. He had a hellova time righting the bike but someone finally stopped to help him. Dan Foley, if you're reading this, smile and remember that I still think of you often. Dennis

·
Registered
396 Posts
Glad you weren't discouraged by your little mishap j-b. You just need some more saddle time. Sounds like you violated the number one rule when making turns - look where you want the bike to go, not at the ground. If you don't own a scoot you can practice the technique on a bicycyle. Practice will help fight the "reflex" of wanting to look at the ground. Keep trying, you'll get the hang of it!

Later,
Maj

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
JB I am so happy for you girl. I knew you could do it. I hate that you had the mishap but that is what the course is for... to build confidence and learn to ride. If it will make you feel better I have talked to many who have taken the course and almost all of them say that bikes are dropped by many different people while learning to ride for the first time. The skills come to you very fast and it's a part of learning. I knew you could do it and practise makes perfect. Thanks for sharing your story with us. See ya later merf.

·
Woo-hoo
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pasadenajim said:
Glad you weren't hurt too badly, j-b.

NOT trying to be smart or cute, but are you repeating the class? My recollection serves me that if a msf student seriously dumped a bike the student was afforded the opportunity to repeat the class. Maybe that was just a requirement out here.

By the way, it takes a lot of guts to admit you dropped the bike. I suspect if the truth be told, many a member of the H/D Forum may have dropped a bike in some form or another over the years.
I don't have to take the course again. They told me that after I do 6 months of riding or 1000 miles, I can take the advance class.

·
Woo-hoo
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maj said:
Glad you weren't discouraged by your little mishap j-b. You just need some more saddle time. Sounds like you violated the number one rule when making turns - look where you want the bike to go, not at the ground. If you don't own a scoot you can practice the technique on a bicycyle. Practice will help fight the "reflex" of wanting to look at the ground. Keep trying, you'll get the hang of it!

Later,
Maj

I wasn't looking at the ground. I was looking through the turn. The way they told us too. When we first started the figure 8 u-turn it was a 24sq ft. box. I made it through that one just fine. they took off 4ft sq. which brought it to 20 ft. sq. it was a little harder to do. I did make it though on the evaluation. The part that I was being judged on.

·
Woo-hoo
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just want to say thanks everybody, for ur support in all of this and the replies.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Happy to hear your ok,j-b.Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Practice,practice,practice.....repeat!!!

Don't sweat dumping the bike,just take it slow & easy!

Good luck,please keep us updated.
guido

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've been riding since I was 18, guess it happens to all of us at one time or another. Luckily, when I dumped my earlier bikes there was no one around. Even though, I was thoughouly embarassed. Its a good to hear that you weren't hurt too badly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts