V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here, so I thought I would introduce myself, before I started asking questions. Let's see,,, I have been riding since I was 5 years old. Dad got me a "fixer up" dirt bike for my birthday. Got my first street ride when I was 18, first bike was an 84 V-65 Magna. Put about 20,000 miles on it before it laid down with infamous cam problems. Basically, It was a good bike. Next bike was a '90 V-max. Put about 30,000 miles on it in about 3 years. It was an awsome bike. No problems and never let me down. Then I wanted to go faster. So I bought a '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200. Did all the go fast stuff I could think of to it. I am just know growing out of the "go fast" mode.

I ride with two groups of people. A bunch of Harley guys, and a very segrated "sporty bike" crowd (very biased toward bike brands). I ride with the sporty bike guys on the weekends, and do the road trips with the Harley guys. I was ok with this with my current bike. It does both fairly well. It is fast enough to keep up on the weekends, and it will set and cruise at 65 to 70 all day.

Then last year I did part of the Trail of Tears. This was awsome. I have never seen so many bikes in one place. I have wanted a Harely since my grandpa took me on my first ride when I was a kid. Never could afford what I wanted. Next year about this time I should be financially stable enough to get what I want and be able to keep the bike I have now.

So the research starts now. I figure that will give me enough time to get a track record of what to look for when the time comes. I love to ride, but I also like to go fast every now and then, so they way I see it, I need to bikes.

Hope all this didn't bore any of you, but I just wanted to let everyone know where I was coming from. I have very little experience with Harley's (that's why I am here), but I can tune and wrench on anything with with two wheels and I love to ride.

later,

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hope you find what you are looking for. Most here don't really care about what you ride today, and we all started on something else. I am kinda in the middle, the die hard sport bike guys don'y like me too much, and the Harley guys don't understand :D I look forward to buying a Road Glide, a long time from now :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Fast - Buell or FXDX

Comfy - Touring family

There are your two bikes :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, When I bought the Bandit, I looked at Buells pretty hard. It basically came to down to money. So I went with the Bandit. It seems to be holding up fairly well. But the Harley bug has been in me for quite some time (sort of born into it :) . So I will probably keep what I have, and get another bike.

Right now, I am looking at the softtails. I really like the Night Train, but the Fat Boy is good to. Then there is the Deuce, So, We'll see what I end up with.

later

·
Registered
903 Posts
Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Welcome to the forum Catbird.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!
We all start out on something, have a snigger at what My first scoot was.........:D

·
Registered
629 Posts
I still have my first ride, 1978 Kawasaki KM 100. 0-60 in, well never:D

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
catbird, you came to a good place to ask questions and gather information about Harleys. So many here have vast experience in all brand of bikes so they can give you plenty of information as to why they are hooked on Harley Davidson. It's a whole 'nuther' world of excitement!

Later,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.