V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have ever done any troubleshooting on wiring problems or tripping circuit breakers, here is a very good aid in finding problems. Radio Shack makes a Infrared Thermometer ($39.95) that is a point and press type thing. It will read the temp of whatever you point it at. Very useful in find hot spots caused by broken or almost broken wires, bad circuit breakers, etc. It's saved me a lot of time a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I saw the other post and bought one today. What a neat little tool. I have been checking the temp of every part of my bike playing with it. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Instructions say range is 0 to 400 F. Pretty good for most car or bike diagnostics.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
ED Y is right-up to 400 degrees. Box says it will also do Celsius. You hold it up to 2 feet away and it measures the temp in 1/2 sec and holds the display for 7 sec. Measure ratio is 3:1, it measures a 4 inch spot from 1 foot away

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good Tip Ed - I thought everyone already had one of these. LOL

Heck, I used mine to diagnose a bad bearing in my furnace blower motor the other day in the pre-winter checkup. I routinely give the bike a once over with it during maintenance checks.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cold Rider: Yeah, they are good for lots of things. Alternator bearing check on cars too.

Just to make you feel good, I'll do the pre-winter furnace check down here about mid-December.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Awesome pictures. Forget "hotspots". With those shots the whole engine is a hotspot. The motors look like they are about to melt down.

·
Registered
629 Posts
IR camera's are pretty cool to play with. Kinda a pain when used for security purposes...

Another good use for the thermometer is tuning. measure the exhaust pipe temp at a predetermined distance to see what the temp differemnce between the to pipes is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts