V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Who Dares Wins
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an 03 Wide Glide. I want to change the stock pipes to get a throater sound. I'm actually hearing different suggestions from different HD dealers. I'm not interested in getting more torque or HP, I just want the sound. One dealer says I can put a set of Screamin Eagle SEII Plus on and I don't need to touch the carbs unless I change the air intake. The other dealer is saying I have to change the pipes, get the carbs re-jetted, replace the air intake, etc. I don't know who to believe. Anyone out there have any experiense with knowing what is correct? I'd even be interested in another brand of pipes if I didn't have to do all the other work on the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
IMHO----everyone has one~~~~

Hey, Ron. Good question. But what you're asking is very "personal". Do you like blondes v. brunettes v. redheads v. ........ They are all GOOD!;)

That being said, how much money do you want to spend? And what kind of "sound" do you want? I'd suggest listening to some other bikes and ask the owner what kind of exhaust they are using. What sounds good to you?

If you go with the SE II's, you'll want to rejet. (The SE II "torque" pipes don't get you much at all. Don't waste you lmoney on them!) Usually, any change in your engine system will require an adjustment in another. Do I know people who have gone with SE II's and not rejetted? Yes. However, IMHO, just changing your mufflers for a more "throatie" sound isn't getting you much. Change the exhaust and rejet. You'll get improved sound and improved performance! The cost difference is minimal.

By the way, nothing is "correct". It's your preference, keeping in mind that changes to one part of the system requires adjustements to others parts.

Oh, just notice this was your first post. Welcome to the H/D Forum! The site should be fully operational again soon. You'll like it here.

·
Registered
206 Posts
RoninPPs,

Welcome....

The SEII are not too loud. They don't sound bad, but I suggest what was mentioned previously. If you can be patient (difficult I know), listen to many other bikes, and ask what they are running.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
To answer your question from my personal experience and advice from a VERY trusted mechanic (my neighbor of 25 years). This is what I learned. I changed my stock pipes to Samson Big Gun IIs (NO baffles, totally open pipes) and did NOT have to rejet the carb. Anyone telling you that you HAVE to rejet is trying to sell you stuff. There is NO way to tell if you will need to rejet until AFTER you have installed the pipes and ridden for a little while. Check the plugs...too white...then you are lean, if too black...too rich, and if a nice brownish color...JUST right and no rejet is needed.
Now when you change the air intake you will most likely need to rejet, but again it is best to run it for a little while (a day or 2) to get an accurate reading from the plugs to decide if a rejet is necessary or not. Let the bike tell YOU what needs to be done, and not just some salesman!
This is of course my opinion learned from experiences, and the wisdom of some very trusted sources...do what makes you happy...its your bike after all.
Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
In your case, just knock the plugs out. If all you want is noise and don't care about performance, why spend anything? I am not being a smart ass, I am just telling you the truth. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thats the cheapest way, makes them sound better and most of the time you don't have to rejet. I never had to yet. And I did it for years on Sporties

·
Registered
194 Posts
me out....

Have been reading the last few posts' and I have to say...I am interested in opening up the baffles/removing plugs on my stock pipes. Problem is, I don't have a clue where these baffles/holes/plugs are located and what to drill. I don't have a manual yet. Thanks for any and all help.

P.S. I do not mind rejetting if required, will keep an eye on the plugs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
...almost forgot.......2002 XL883 Sportster.:D

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Re: me out....

Rscotts1 said:
Have been reading the last few posts' and I have to say...I am interested in opening up the baffles/removing plugs on my stock pipes. Problem is, I don't have a clue where these baffles/holes/plugs are located and what to drill.

The baffles/ plugs are inside the mufflers. Take a flashlight and look inside 'em. I have taken a 1 1/8 " holesaw with a long shaft and drilled the baffles out. You can also take a long rod and "punch" them out with a hammer if you don't want to mess with the drill. Get yourself a service manual ASAP if you intend on doing most of your own wrenching. It will save you $$$ in the long run. Just my .02

·
Who Dares Wins
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm heading out the door...I'll e-mail you in the next day or two on some information another person sent me on how to do it.

RoninPPS

Rscotts1 said:
...almost forgot.......2002 XL883 Sportster.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts