V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First posting here.

I need a bit more riding comfort but before changing the handlebars on my late 1999 Road King I want to experiment with adjusting the position of the bars.
I was told there are 2 screws to remove the chrome shroud around the keyhole.
I gently prise off the keyhole trim, but am greeted with what looks like 2 blank headed bolts. Are these the right ones, if so how do you remove them.
Cheers ChrisE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
Was searching for 'handlebars' before, if you search for 'bars' all is revealed :))
Looks like 3 bolts all accessed from inside headlight. Front single bolt is a pig and should not be removed completely.
What is your opinion of a previous post that advised a sharp pull on the bars to reposition them?
If they move just doing this it doesn't sound very safe to me.
Cheers ChrisE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have done it now

Previous postings wern't much help. Perhaps the models have change.

This is how you do it.
Gently prise off the key-hole surround in the chrome cover over the clamps. It is located on plastic pegs.
You will find 2 security screws with no apparent way of removing them. With a small centre punch work the screws free, they are not very tight.
Remove headlight front and with a bit of a struggle loosen the rear nut holding the long chrome trim. Do not remove the nut completely as it will be very difficult to re-locate. If necessary slightly undo the front nut on this trim until it lifts enough to remove the chrome cover over the handlebar clamp.

Reassemble in reverse order, but I cut a groove in the two security bolts to make subsequent removal with a screwdriver more easy.

I adjusted my bars slightly towards me. My problem with aching arms is fixed.

Cheers Chris

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I've not had the problem with the clamp cover you describe. Have two phillips screws under the fork lock ring. I don't like the dnageling part from not removing the front cover screw completely. I use a small loop of masking tape to hold the nut and washer together, and on the end of my finger to slid it back up in there.

Be careful with the front (towards the headlight) nut on the chrome strip, the peg is plastic and breaks easily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put a set of Heritage bars on my 99 Road King and they work very well plus I did not have to change any cables. Anyone want to buy a set of stock RK bars (cheap).

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
My 00 RK has two phillips head screws under the trim ring. I just changed my stock bars to the Heritage Classic bars.

You can twist the left stock grip off if you work at it., but you are better off buying a more comfortable set new.

If you get the Kuryakyn grips watch out for the gel super glue they send. It sets up instantly! You cannot hesitate when putting the grips on and you can't adjust them once they are on. The stuff sets up way too quickly.

Twice I have had to buy a new left grip cause I hesitated when putting it on and only got it halfway before the glue set up.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Difference is with the european market bikes, they have the tamper resistant screws, the US bikes have the Phillips screws.

To get the grip off stick a long thin screwdriver between the grip and the bar and blow them off with an air nozzle. If you have no air just keep poking the screwdriver in there, they come off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.