V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting a Road Glide in the next few months to add some long distance capability to my stable consisting of my 2003 FXDWG. I have a few questions about sissy bars and tour packs. Can a quick release tour pack and a quick release sissy bar be used on the same bike? Figure on a 2006 for model year. Does anyone know the part numbers for the needed hardware and which sissy bar to use. Can I use a tour pack for a road king or electra glide standard so I don't have the mount for the antena on it? What is the difference between the 2006 tour packs and the other ones? Seems like HD has them listed differently in the parts catalog. How do I get an intercom on it? Thanks for your help...............Ward

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
bigblock455 said:
I will be getting a Road Glide in the next few months to add some long distance capability to my stable consisting of my 2003 FXDWG. I have a few questions about sissy bars and tour packs. Can a quick release tour pack and a quick release sissy bar be used on the same bike? Figure on a 2006 for model year. Does anyone know the part numbers for the needed hardware and which sissy bar to use. Can I use a tour pack for a road king or electra glide standard so I don't have the mount for the antena on it? What is the difference between the 2006 tour packs and the other ones? Seems like HD has them listed differently in the parts catalog. How do I get an intercom on it? Thanks for your help...............Ward
I had a quick release tourpack and quick release sissy bar and quick release luggage rack on an 04 road king (interchangeable) that I transferred to my 05 road glide. In honesty, I do not use the sissy bar or luggage rack on the road glide and have been meaning to sell them. I did remove the antenna and put one inside the fairing on the road glide (otherwise I would have had to relocate it or move it to the tourpack).

I don't know the part numbers. I did have to get two mounting kits (front and rear).

It is easier to get a tunetrapper in-fairing antenna and not use the antenna on the back of the bike. The only time I take the tourpack off is for a thorough cleaning. I never, and I mean NEVER, ride without the tourpack. How often will you use the road glide for long distance and not have a tour pack attached?

I would recommend getting a tourpack and mounting it permanently and putting brake/running lights on it. If you really want to waste your $ on a sissy bar and/or a luggage rack, I could figure out a reasonable price to sell for (But I think that would be a waste of your money). Your mileage may vary.

However, if you get a tourpack and use a detachable mount, make sure to get a locking kit for it. You don't want someone to abscond w/ your whole tourpack.

If you have a passenger who gets one ride w/ a tourpack and tourpack rest (I have mine from mustang), that passenger would not be likely to say, "hey, take the comfy backrest/armrest off and put on that sissy bar."

Congrats on the bike.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
I put the quick release on the tourpac I got for my new '06 RG. Guess it is there if I ever want to remove it but really I have gotten used to the storage space and even when riding one up the bike does not seem to handle or feel any different with the tourpac on than my last RG did which did not have one. I can see maybe not ever taking the thing off. I went for the one that has the ultra style with the lights and the antena mounts. You can choose the tourpac that does not have lights or antenna mounts too if that is what you want. But to get the intercom you have to get the CB and if you do that you might as well get the one so you can mount a CB antenna.

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Nice scoot

bigblock, I agree with all the advice on the tour pak above I've got the option of using the sissy bar too but think its going to be gathering dust most of the time.

FLHRI-Tom, great looking ride, and since its black it probably rides better too!:thumbsup:

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
thanks for the comments on the scoot. I do think black is the bestest, fastest color for a bike.

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Road Glider,

Just checked your pics. Awesome!!! I love the yellow color. Yellow and black are my favorite colors. The wife would have disowned me if I got the yellow.

Sweet bike!

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Almost got the yellow too

Hey Road Glider, as much as I love my black one yours is pretty sweet looking too. Nearly ordered that color but the dealer had a black one in stock and that sealed the deal.

My wife is a yellow hater too which is weird since she has a love for neon lime green...:huh:

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Thanks guys. I ordered before I said anything to my wife about the bike or color. She is pretty cool with what I like and gives me room on that stuff. She likes this one but she liked the last one too which was black. I just like being a little different and so far have not seen another '06 yellow out an about, much less in my neck of the woods. So hopefully most people will shy away from the color and I can have it all to my own.

You know there was a scientific test done recently and it was scientifically determined by the esteemed panel that yellow had just surpased black as the official fastest HD color. ;)

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Hey Joe show me some pics of that scooter of yours. Just read your description and looks like we went down a similair path to happiness on the RG's.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
FLHRI-Tom said:
Just got some pics of my roadglide uploaded. Quick detach tourpack, LED lights added on tourpack, deutsch (SP?) connector for tourpack. tunetrapper antenna inside fairing. Mustang seat, mustang riders backrest, mustang tourpack rest.

Just to give you an idea of what I've done.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=14895
Damn nice setup on your Road Glide!

I like your exhaust setup as well. How is it for long rides?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Leather SEUC tour pack

I am debating on the leather tour pack for the SE Ultra Classic. I have a Black Pearl 06 and I want something different. I want mine detachable because of the sleek line of the Road Glide, but am concerned about adding rear speakers and still being detachable. Haven't done enough research on how to make all of this work. Any imput on having rear speakers and being detachable?

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
dwarthog said:
Damn nice setup on your Road Glide!

I like your exhaust setup as well. How is it for long rides?
Thanks for the compliment on the bike.

The exhaust is a supertrapp supermeg 2:1
I did extensive research before buying for my king. Then I bought again for the road glide. My criteria was: no crossover for heat issues(i.e., 2:1 or true dual) not too loud, but a harley sound and tuneable would be nice for future projects.

They are great. Not too loud, but can sound off when I whack the throttle. The 2:1 has taken care of the heat problem due to crossover. They are also tuneable for performance / sound. I couldn't be happier. I've posted many times on the supertrapp 2:1. If you search the site for supertrapp supermeg
you will see much more info.

Long rides cruising along at a steady pace is no fatigue at all for me.

I just included a zip file that has a wav recording of the supertrapps (all discs in). It was made w/ a cheapie mp3 players voice recorder. Actual sound is much nicer.

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
detachable costs more

Pearl Glider, You can add the tour pack, speakers, etc. You have to have someone fabricate a disconnect for the wiring, it's not too complicated. The real pain is having a place to store the tour pak off the bike. Highly recommend the ultra tour pak -- visibility increased big time with the taillight set!

Road Glider its on my to do list but will be a while before I can post pics (hate it when work gets in the way of my riding!!!) I found the 88 twinky adequate but after my Dyna had to go for some additional torque and horsepower!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts