V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Dyna lowrider. I want to put on some detachable bags with easy brackets or ghost brackets. I need to relocate the turnsignals. J&P cycles has a relocation kit for Dynas up to 2001 for $30. No Kit for 2002 up. The HD kit for 2003-3005 Dyna is $70+. Did HD change the bolt size for the rear turns signals in 2002? I am guessing this is the case as HD also has 2 kit for pre and post 2002. If not then I see no reason why the J&P kit would not work. Both kit are basically a bar that use the Lisence Plate bracket to mount it and the turn signals are mounted to the end of the bar. I just don't want to spend extra $ for a HD bar. Pissis me off the HD would change a bolt pattern for no reason but to cash in. Spending enough on the brackets and bags. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Can't help with the J&P brand. I put on the HD kit. The only tough part is threading the wires though the inside of the bar.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I used the HD Layback Relocation Kit for the older Dyna's which was about $50 and includes a nice chrome layback license plate mount. I had to buy two new turn signals though since the thread pitch is different and the wires need to come through the mounting holes and they come out a seperate mounting hole on the 05 Dyna's.

HD Layback Relo Kit - HD Part# 60134-01

Chris Products
Black Nickel Turn Signal w/ Amber Lens
Dennis Kirk Part Number: 211729
Manufacturer Part Number: 8501ABN
Price: $20.99

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 2001 FXD and used the HD Layback Relocation Kit for the older Dyna's which includes a chrome layback license plate mount. 2002 and newer use a different thread on the lights, that is why there is a different number for 2002 and up. Different shaped lights too, bullets vs. dome.
It is pretty easy to install, but you will need to use a lift/jack so you can get some room between the wheel and the fender for your hands to get dirty running the wires.
Get yourself a couple feet of some black and purple wire from HD before you go to install it, my existing wires were too short, so I had to add some to get it to reach.
The other thing I did was drill a hole in the middle of the triangle part through the fender to run the wires through it from the bar so no wires are exposed. From what I've been told there is a hole already in the newer bikes, so I would assume the kit has it also.

Post pictures when your done and Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Douglide, that is a very nice setup for the rear turnsignals. It is a little pricey but I like it! I see you have a 2001 so if your turnsignal fit this kit then mine won't because I have found out that the turnsignal thread went from 5/16 coarse to 5/16 fine in 2002.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
dres22 said:
Douglide, that is a very nice setup for the rear turnsignals. It is a little pricey but I like it! I see you have a 2001 so if your turnsignal fit this kit then mine won't because I have found out that the turnsignal thread went from 5/16 coarse to 5/16 fine in 2002.
They'll send the correct hardware, but you have to ask for it. I installed one on a 2004 sporty without issue. You'll need the insert that covers the recess that the OE mounts fit into.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Douglide thanks for the info. Dumb question is the recesss you speak of on the turn signal and did you getthe cover from Bubbas? thanks.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
The recess cover is a dealer item. I can't recall exactly what they call them or the part number. You might have to describe it and hope the guy you're talking to knows more than most of the parts guys.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Try the harley layback kit mentioned earlier - I used it on my 05 Lowrider - dealer put the covers on that duoglide mentioned for free when I had it in for a warranty issue on the fender paint - don't know the part number etc but any of the techs in the service department should be able to set you up.

For some reason I had no issues with the threads - the stock signals went on fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts