V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,:wavey:

First let me introduce myself. I am a 45 year old male who resides in Canada, 5'11", 190lbs and never rode who wants to purchase a HD. My local dealer has suggested that I look at the HD 1200 Sportsters for my first bike, mainly because they have a little extra power when needed to get out of trouble, and the forward controls. What are your thoughts on learning to ride on a 1200 Sportster?

My next question is about your thoughts on what is a fair price for a 2004 XL1200X. This bike has about 2000KM (1200 miles) has been outfitted with Stage One Screamin Eagle pipes, forward controls, rejetted carb and K & N filter. This bike is like new having been stored in a garage, has a slight scratch on tank and a rub mark on the transfer case. The dealer wants $10000 canadian plus applicable taxes. Can anyone enlighten me on what I should be offering, or if I should even be looking at this bike.

Please any and all info would be appreciated, but please hurry because the dealer says he has someone else looking at this bike, but that could be a ploy to get me to put my money down.

Thanks for your time,

Ron:thanks:

·
Registered
935 Posts
You've never rode? Have you taken a class?
Would you be ticked if you dropped your brand new bike?

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a new or old Harley for someone that has never rode before. You should go buy yourself a cheap street bike in the 600 cc range and learn on it. The first time you drop your new bike you will be doing hundreds of dollars damage. Yamaha 650 special or something like that. You can buy a used bike like that and drop it and not hurt it or the resale value.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Patience, young grasshopper. You will love your new Harley, but you must learn to master basic riding techniques first.

Buy a used 250cc kawi or something. Take the calss, beat the paint off the kawi, buy the Hog, love life.
-or- Take the class, beat the paint off the kawi, look at women, buy the Hog, look at women, ride the hog, drink beer, look at women, love life, ride the hog some more, and more, love life.

H

·
0 Posts
Clearly I'm in the minority here, but the first motorcycle I ever rode was a Sportster. Yes, I dropped it a few times. However, it's designed so the parts that hit are fairly cheap (rear blinker stalks and brake and clutch levers. More importantly, if you take the MSF course, you can likely prevent that all together, if you take the time to ride smart. (I was a typical self-taught moron at the time. I've since attended a few hours of formal instruction).

As to price, I just checked and $10,000 CDN equals about $8,500 USD. That strikes me as a tad high, but I know north of the border you take a hit. Only someone else up there, or someone familiar with Canadian prices could tell you for sure.

Harris

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sportster is my first bike as well. Here a few things I've learned:

Forward Controls = bad. Its for crusing comfort, not for agressive riding. Which after two years I happen to prefer an aggresive style. Mid controls cost $250 for my bike :-(

Sportsters are heavy. Speaking from experience, you do not want to let one pin your leg. Learning on a lighter bike has many advantages :yes:

Expensive = many of the stock components are poor performers and need to be "customized" (replaced with parts that should've been there in the first place). Shocks, brakes, tires, even the seat. Is the one you're looking at the roadster? Might not be so bad.

Is the front wheel 21" or 19"? 21" is for looks, not performance. Poor braking, and poor handling in the turns. -2$en#e-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike is a 2004 XL1200X Roadster with a 19" front end. What are your thoughts about the price? Remember I live in Canada. This bike really looks like new.

Ron

H

·
0 Posts
Ron,

A new 2006, Black Roadster is showing a list price of $11,350 (+/-) CDN. the upgrades are things you would likely pay for on a new bike,, so they have some real value. However, the "slight scratch" on the tank is something I would have them fix (by replacing the tank). The dealer can do this at their cost, and you could get it on a "we owe" and ride until th replacement tank came in.

I really think they're about $750 CDN over where they should be, but I don't knnow what your market is like there. I know Canada is high, and the market is fairly controlled by the "Deeley factor". Nonetheless, I'd want to know what new 1200's are selling for up there. Here they are definitely t or below MSRP.

Harris

·
Banned
873 Posts
Harris said:
Clearly I'm in the minority here, but the first motorcycle I ever rode was a Sportster.
The first thing I ever rode was a mini bike; a few other dirt bikes followed. I had zero road experience when I bought my sportster, but I figured it couldn't be that much different.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Harris said:
However, the "slight scratch" on the tank is something I would have them fix (by replacing the tank). The dealer can do this at their cost, and you could get it on a "we owe" and ride until th replacement tank came in.
:huh:

Touch up paint and clear coat would be the correct solution. Unless it really is a slight scratch, than 3m scratch remover. If its dented, thats different. Right not the tank isn't damaged, the clear coat is.

H

·
0 Posts
TheTick said:
:huh:

Touch up paint and clear coat would be the correct solution. Unless it really is a slight scratch, than 3m scratch remover. If its dented, thats different. Right not the tank isn't damaged, the clear coat is.
I would agree that's how I'd fix a "slight scratch" on my own. On a used bike the seller is wanting top dollar for, it should be fixed by replacement though.

Harris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts