V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The great camel toe escap
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like is a 99 twin cam. Had a problem with what seemed like the belt slipping across the trans sprocket. Well needed tonreplace belt as it was all chewed up from the trans sprocket. Sprocket was the Andrew's stock tooth 3rd lighter 3rd stronger then stock. Felt like belt always slipping across the teeth.. so did the metal bushing upgrades new hockey puck bushing on both sides and went to a steel sprocket. On hard acceleration still feels like belt is slipping across the teeth. Theirs about 3/8 belt deflection. And also front motor mount is a upgraded one too. Motor is a 103" cammed and all that jazz. Any ideas from anyone?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Damn never seen a pully that chewed the hell up.... Put an oem pulley on it. I'm running a high HP big bore and have never seen that happen

·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ya already did that. Like I said I went back to a steel gear. Belt is adjusted right. I use a harder motor mount on the front and I've got the pughco(sp?) Metal bushing upgrade I the rear with new hockey puck bushing also. But still feels like the belt is skipping.

·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn never seen a pully that chewed the hell up.... Put an oem pulley on it. I'm running a high HP big bore and have never seen that happen
Ya I attribute alot of that to the rear swing arm bushings and 30k of extreme hard riding and hot rodding. But still puzzled as to why it seems like its skipping

·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what a clutch slipping feels like. As inside running a energy 1 clutch. This is not a clutch slipping. It feels like the belt is slipping. The pic i posted with the worn pulley also skipped and a bunch of the belt cogs were missing and chewed up. It feels the same way now it did then. And i agree I dont think I make enough power to be skipping. But still feels that way. I know alot of big inch motor over 140/140 running belts with no issues

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yah belt skip feels like a fast pulse and lurching. OK so let's go through this you have no cleave block you changed out for metal/ bronze bushings so there will be no movement there correct? What size is the belt 1 1/2? What make belt how old? Your belt tension is set right? Alignment on pulleys good?

·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe it's the 1-1/2 as its stock size. Belt is new it's a panther belt I believe. Iam gonna double check tension as my buddy set it at 3/8 free deflection. Not 3/8 at 10 pounds. And yes has the metal bushing kit now. And front and rear sprockets are new

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Are you familiar with how to set belt tension this has to be the problem if all is as described. Are you near the bike now?

·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont have a tool
But I believe its suppose to be at 1/4 to 3/8 deflection at 10pounds of pressure.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
So twisting the belt with your fingers what angle would you say you can get without really straining your fingers?

·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You referring to how the belt sits now? Probably 90 no problem

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
OK this seems to be the issue.. Grab the lower belt midway between the pulleys and twist it with some minor force. You should not be able to go past 45° without considerable finger strain. Tighten it till you get to that area. And your good

·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I'll give it a shot and see what happens

·
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update.... tightened the belt. Had to guesstimate about 10 pounds but it's pretty close... no skipping at all now. Thanks guys for setting me straight. The older guy who helps me do work has always worked on pans shovels and such and since hes not a go fast guy he never has problems with skipping. I've always felt he set the belts to loose but iam only a weekend wrencher and never really questioned him till now. Not to say I cant do things as I did upgrade my bike from a 88 to 95 myself. And installed the 45 Mik AMD also tuned it myself too. But every now and then you gotta go to the masses and ask for opinions. Thanks guys for your help. Only thing I wanna do now is find a single filter to fit my arlen ness twin sucker as with solid rear bushings and the harder front mount it vibrates so the twin filters hit eachother now.. made a thread in I believe the carb section showing a pic of the bike same intake and the exact filter I want. Or if anyone has a better one.

Or hell heres a pic it says uni but I can't find that style anywhere. Only thing I dont like is that the front blocks all the air. Iam thinking if fronts open more "ramair"? So if you all have any thought feel free to weigh in. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Well if you are in beaver dam you have one of the best HD dealers there is right there.
That is a RG faring prerushmore one. As for air flow the stock AC will flow all the air a 95 can use. Never seen that bike around here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
5 Participants
1fast2liter
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing