V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was warming up by Fatboy this afternoon, letting the bike run at idle for about 20 minutes. I came back into the garage and both pipes were red hot. All the way from the engine to the cross over valve where the pipes come together. It was so hot that the chrome covers discolored. Any idea why this happened and what I can do to fix it? Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
I am not an expert, but IMHO 20 minutes is too long to let an air cooled engine idle.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
I'm no engineer, but I don't think it's a good idea to let these aircooled TC engines idle for 20 mins. If you want to warm it up, one min is enough.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
You can fry the engine by letting the bike idle that long. Other than that, warming up the engine during winter break is a bad idea as you never heat up enough to burn off vapor, acids and other nasty stuff that you produce during warm up. Do a search for 'winterize' or the like and you find some interesting views.

Good luck

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Were you going riding or justing starting it up? As said, don't start a bike in the winter just to start it. Causes moisture to form. I to agree 20 mins seems like a long time. Obviouly it was if the pipes turned red.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Sorry...but I won't even comment on this one cause I might get barred. Smart enough to buy a Fatboy but...................

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
dlorenzn said:
I was warming up by Fatboy this afternoon, letting the bike run at idle for about 20 minutes. I came back into the garage and both pipes were red hot. All the way from the engine to the cross over valve where the pipes come together. It was so hot that the chrome covers discolored. Any idea why this happened and what I can do to fix it? Thanks for the suggestions!
I'd have the ignition timing checked (if you have an adjustable module), but more likely I'd guess the idle mixture is lean.

John

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I'll be blunt about this......... with the lean running (probably EFI, right) and letting the bike idle for twenty minutes??? You deserve what you got!

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Ahar said:
sounds to me like you might have a muffler bearing going out, a short fix would be to lube it. Not going to get into a discussion on what kind of lube to use.
if that don't help, you might consider a torqulson bearing instead of stock.

jmho
:roflback:

I'll have to side with GROCK on this one.

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
:roflback: Sometimes the hardest lessons learned are the best...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I've sat in hot summer Charlotte traffic for longer than 20 minutes and the only thing that ever turned red was my legs. To lean, give her some fuel....

-2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
:brows: I'll bet some 1 delta 10 tango got on it %[email protected] Does it every time :duh?:

·
BlueSkiesandTailwinds
188 Posts
steveusmc said:
Sorry...but I won't even comment on this one cause I might get barred. Smart enough to buy a Fatboy but...................
:stupid: :RTFB: @gree:

I think that says enough.

Steveusmc - I agree with you 100%

Later

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Ahar said:
sounds to me like you might have a muffler bearing going out, a short fix would be to lube it. Not going to get into a discussion on what kind of lube to use.
if that don't help, you might consider a torqulson bearing instead of stock.

jmho
You so funny GI!!!

Those ARE great bearings I've heard. The best lube is that new Henway grease.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
How about new members be required to read and post only to existing threads for awhile before being allowed to post new threads that ask a question just debated no more than a month ago. :thanks: :corn: :spank:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts