V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 Deuce has 11K on her and a few weeks ago I noticed a slight oil leak. The leak is on the left side of the bike. I believe its comming from somwhere behind the primary (around the belt pully area??) the oil accumulates at the primary drain plug and thats where it drips. After riding it will usually put 1-3 drops of oil on the ground (after sitting for more than 3-4 hours/all night). I tightend all the primary cover bolts....my dad was saying it could be the engine-primary tranny-primary bolts behind the cover....I looked in the service manual and it says these are protected by a locking tab....I'm thinking about taking the thing apart and checking those bolts......anyone have any similar issues or ideas before I get too deep into this problem:dunno: ??? Thanks for the help!!

350Z

·
47,503 and adding
193 Posts
My EG std does the same thing. It is my belief that it is the shifter shaft seal and should be covered under warranty. Look over your primary and down at where the shifter lever enters the tranny. Is it a bit messy? Probably that seal. Others with more experience could comment, I think if you search shift shaft seal you will find some discussion.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
There are a couple of seals behind there. HD has an updated jackshaft seal that I replaced. The rear cover comes off fairly easily. Follow the manual.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Hard to say what it could be. Just about any leak will accumulate and drip off the primary in the drain area. The trick is to try and narrow down the area where the leak is coming from. Try washing off all the old oil from the bottom and back side of the primary. Then start the bike and let it idle for a few minutes or go for a short SLOW ride. Let the bike sit and cool completely. The take a flashlight and a small telescopic mirror and see if you can locate the source of the leak.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys rock...the shifter shaft seal is where I'm thinking its at....I'll look into the updated seal kit as well. I guess the bike is fine to ride with this slight leak for now?

350Z

·
47,503 and adding
193 Posts
Just watch the level in your tranny and you'll be fine indefinitely. Bike is just marking it's spot. Keeps the bad ones away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK....I got the bike up on the lift and took the seat and coil off to get a better view of things behind the primary....I am almost 99% sure the shifter seal is not the problem.....it looks like the majority of the wetness is comming from the behind the primary belt sprocket....I just want to avoid taking the bike all apart when mabe it was somthing simple....I hear the shift shaft seal is fairly common but I did a search for oil leaks and nobody ever posted a leak comming from behind the sprocket....it only leaks when the bike warms up. :thanks: for all the help!!!

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
There ia overlow hose back there as well are you sure it is not coming from there? Have you had the fliuds changed recently?

·
Registered
182 Posts
In cold weather I have noticed that on occasion the transmission will spit a little oil out of the vent line wich is in the vicinity of the shifter seal you are talking about. The occurences that I have had are in cold weather. And as said before if there is a bit too much trans fluid then maybe it is blowing out the vent line because of the overfill.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
350Z said:
...oh yeah where is the "jackshaft" seal at????

350Z
Starter shaft. Just did mine, not running yet to comment. There are updated jack shaft and main seal, rear shaft from tranny.
I replaced all, I think it was tranny shifter. Not hard, but some work. I would live with it until winter. I went with cometic replacement. Dunno if any better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts