V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me if the 99 fxdl and fxdwg tanks are interchangeable. They look the same as far as dash mounting.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
IIRC, the main difference in thiose two bikes is the WG has the wider fork set up. Frame's the same so the tank should be a perfect fit. Only thing I can think of to check is the stop-to-stop range of motion to be sure the fork won't hit the tank.

If it does look like it will hit, there are fork stops you can buy now to prevent that. In the old days, I drilled and tapped a bolt, then adjusted the extension I needed. Pretty easy as I recall.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i believe the only difference is the wide glide has a 5.2 gal tank and the low rider has a 4.9 gal tank thats what my 99 service manual says

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
There is a bit of difference in the shape of the tank access plates and the length of the instrument cluster stand-off brackets, other than that, they bolt up the same.

The FXDL access plate has longer cluster brackets so you will either need to run spacers on the WG access plate or swap them out with your grinder and welder. I did the latter.

FXDL tank on the left, FXDWG tank on the right.

Modded FXDWG access plate with FXDL cluster brackets.

Just another view of the FXDL access plate right when I took it off the tank prior to modding it.

Which way are you going? FXDWG tank on a FXDL or vice versa?

·
Registered
67 Posts
speedfoos yours is efi and he was asking about a 99 and i dont think they are efi

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
The dash mounts are not the same. The tanks will interchange, but you would have to convert over to the appropriate dash. You can see the difference if you really study pictures on eBay. It doesn't appear to be much, but it is different.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yes the dash mounts are diff the low has a speedo and tach and the wide has only a speedo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts