V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea it's me again...

I got the bike running again yesterday with a new injector and realized it's time for a state inspection. On the way there this morning, my left turn signal wouldn't work and after trying it the security light came on and stayed on. Right signal works fine. When I press the button for the left both front signals light up and stay lit but nothing in the rear. Then the security light comes on. Cycled the security system on/off a few times both turn signals on the right flash as normal but neither on left lights up.

Checked bulbs all fine, checked fuses all fine.

DTCs

on P
P1353 Front Cylinder no combustion - PN ALF 10505-0. I'm thinking this is a historical code that didn't display before when the bike was running on one cylinder because it's running normally now that I put a new injector in.

on S

b1121 (TSM) left turn output fault. Pn 68922-00c. this part number is the TSSM. turn signal securlty module that I thought may have an issue before

on Sp

U1064 - Los of TSM/FSFM serial data to ECM. no part number given but again referencing the TSM/TSSM

I had the fuel tank off to install the injector yesterday. Zip tied the wire bundles under there back to the frame when I was done. maybe pinched something?

·
Registered
16,955 Posts
Right signal works fine. When I press the button for the left both front signals light up and stay lit but nothing in the rear. Then the security light comes on.
I'm not familiar with TSSMs (still have flashers) but that information alone should point you in the right direction. If both front ones work when depressing the left button, the right has to receive voltage from somewhere besides the right blinker.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dannyboy58

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I’m leaning toward damaged TSSM from the failing stator. No issue I can see in the hand control and not problems found with wiring.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram, The TSSM does not power the lights individually, meaning there is one wire for leftside and one for rightside. One wire leaves the tssm then t's off to go to the front t/s, the indicator, and then to the rear t/s, one circuit. So if a light is working on the front then the indicator and the rear should work too unless a bulb is burned out or a wire is broken, undone, or a faulty ground.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
You need to find the issue in the wiring going back to the rear signal. The usual suspect is the wiring running under the rear fender.

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the wiring diagram, The TSSM does not power the lights individually, meaning there is one wire for leftside and one for rightside. One wire leaves the tssm then t's off to go to the front t/s, the indicator, and then to the rear t/s, one circuit. So if a light is working on the front then the indicator and the rear should work too unless a bulb is burned out or a wire is broken, undone, or a faulty ground.
That's not what my electrical diagnostic manual shows.

·
Registered
1991 FLHTP
208 Posts
I believe they are correct looking at the schematic you posted. It shows one connection feeding all the lights for right blinker and another connection feeding all the lights for the left blinker. Either look for a broken hot wire or bad ground on the light that is not working.

·
Registered
702 Posts
So it does power the right and left side individually.
When I say individually I mean each light individually, not side, meaning the TSSM can't flash the left front and not the left rear, they are the same circuit and current flows to all lights in that circuit (or side), unless there is a broken wire, burnt-out bulb or bad ground to the inoperative light. " When I press the button for the left both front signals light up and stay lit but nothing in the rear. " This would mean a wiring , bulb or ground problem to he rear. There could be a TSSM problem still, but when lights are ON on the front then they should light up on the rear too.

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I say individually I mean each light individually, not side, meaning the TSSM can't flash the left front and not the left rear, they are the same circuit and current flows to all lights in that circuit (or side), unless there is a broken wire, burnt-out bulb or bad ground to the inoperative light. " When I press the button for the left both front signals light up and stay lit but nothing in the rear. " This would mean a wiring , bulb or ground problem to he rear. There could be a TSSM problem still, but when lights are ON on the front then they should light up on the rear too.
Gotcha! I thought you meant one wire out of the TSSM then split to both sides.

I agree with your analysis except...when I turn on the left signal BOTH front lights light solid. So the TSSM is clearly sending power to both at that point...didn't notice if the right rear lights up with them as well but the left rear definitely does not. When I hold both buttons for all 4 to flash only the right flashes... Just seems like the TSSM is all confused to me but I'll get into the wiring trace anyway.

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
blinker modules go bad on baggers...get badlands one...mine did wiyt blinker probs....not sure on your computer model
Yea the TSSM is not just a blinker module though. It the security system module as well. I don’t think there’s an aftermarket replacement is there?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Nope, you will probably need a new TSSM and then go through the process of linking it to the rest of the data buss. I've only read the procedure from my manual, never needed to perform it. Mine is an 05 for should be pretty much the same for your year. Google brings this up as the first hit on "harley replace tssm" search

This seems to be more for ECM replacement, but I think replacing the TSSM is the same. Then you may also need to recode for your remotes... Might be a dealer thing since they can program everything more easily. In theory a used TSSM should also be able to be programmed to work with your other parts, and would be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Gotcha! I thought you meant one wire out of the TSSM then split to both sides.

I agree with your analysis except...when I turn on the left signal BOTH front lights light solid. So the TSSM is clearly sending power to both at that point...didn't notice if the right rear lights up with them as well but the left rear definitely does not.
When you press the left signal button, which bulbs illuminate? Do they flash?

When you press the right signal button, which bulbs illuminate? Do they flash?

When you turn on the hazard flasher, which bulbs illuminate? Do they flash?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Easy way to test the signal circuits on each side:

Unplug connector from TSSM

Test left side:

Use a jumper wire to connect terminal 1 and terminal 5 on connector (not tssm).

Turn ignition switch on, turn signal bulbs and indicator bulb should illuminate.

Test right side:

Jumper wire to terminal 1 and terminal 6 on connector (not tssm).

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you press the left signal button, which bulbs illuminate? Do they flash?
Both FRONT signals illuminate but do NOT flash.

When you press the right signal button, which bulbs illuminate? Do they flash?
Right Front and Rear both illuminate and flash.

When you turn on the hazard flasher, which bulbs illuminate? Do they flash?
Right Front and Rear both flash. Left Front illuminates but does NOT flash.

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Easy way to test the signal circuits on each side:

Unplug connector from TSSM

Test left side:

Use a jumper wire to connect terminal 1 and terminal 5 on connector (not tssm).

Turn ignition switch on, turn signal bulbs and indicator bulb should illuminate.

Test right side:

Jumper wire to terminal 1 and terminal 6 on connector (not tssm).
I'll give this a try tomorrow AM. I was reading about using a breakout box to do that and wondered if you could just jumper the plug. Thanks for the info. Will report back.

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope, you will probably need a new TSSM and then go through the process of linking it to the rest of the data buss. I've only read the procedure from my manual, never needed to perform it. Mine is an 05 for should be pretty much the same for your year. Google brings this up as the first hit on "harley replace tssm" search

This seems to be more for ECM replacement, but I think replacing the TSSM is the same. Then you may also need to recode for your remotes... Might be a dealer thing since they can program everything more easily. In theory a used TSSM should also be able to be programmed to work with your other parts, and would be cheaper.
I think you're right Greg but I'll try the jumper test in the morning with some fresh bulbs even though these look fine and have been cleaned and lubed.

I'll have a TSSM on friday just in case. I rode a bit today but using my signals is just reflex. Then the lights in the dash annoy the crap out of me. Good news is I knocked out the regular maintenance today and the bike is running great. The no combustion code didn't come back after clearing so I think it was a historical code from right before her last truck ride.

I think that TSSM programming procedure is in the electrical diagnostics manual which I downloaded but thanks for posting the link. It's a good resource for the thread. Here's a link for the electrical diagnostics manual. Not sure how current they are for newer bikes but they had mine. Harley Service Manuals FREE

1 - 20 of 80 Posts