V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
I hate them butt-ugly sideplates too ... I put a Kuryakyn "Plug 'n Play" sissy bar mounting bracket on my 2002 FXDXT. No need to relocate the turn signals for it. This hides the vast majority of the mounting assembly under the seat. Comes off in a sec with 2 screws. You can use any of the H-D sissy bars that fit Dynas, and any of the luggage racks that fit the sissy bar you choose.

Pictures of my setup here:

http://209.151.86.249/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6114

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
****...that garage is cleaner than my house! Was it just cleaned for the picture or are you one of those anal people that can't have a grease spot in the garage?

Your question...well I for one agree that the detachable part is pretty ugly. If I were as into showing my bike as you are...I would think that hooking up with a good machinest and buying some raw metal to machine out a really FINE looking custom setup by using the factory setup as a template would be the way to go.
How about custom cutting some metal plates (using the factory ones as a guide in a really trick looking angle to match the seat and fender perfectly then having that chromed. THEN...get an upholstry professional to custom make a sissy pad to match the seat and shape of your custom backrest. It will cost more, but it will be YOUR design and a TRUE custom part. For the show aspect it seems that would increase the showmanship of your bike.
What do you think?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ksims1868 said:
****...that garage is cleaner than my house! Was it just cleaned for the picture or are you one of those anal people that can't have a grease spot in the garage?

I am that anal. Garage gets mopped once a month. Actually had my B'day in the garage this summer. The pic doesn't show it, but I have a 2-door upright glass beer cooler on the side wall. Ones like you see in the conveniece store.

I like your idea of the custom setup. However, I am currently showing in the "DYNA STOCK" class, and that much custom work would probably bump me into "DYNA CUSTOM". I'd have a hard time competing in that class without a flamed paint job or other major mods. Plus, I ike the fact that currently the bike is 100% Harley, including all Screaming Eagle parts making this a 103" Stroker with 120+ horespower.....no aftermarket parts.

This bike is a RIDER first....I just happen to place high in local bike shows when I attend. Actually got talked into showing it by the guy directing traffic @ Colonial HD's grand opening a month ago here in VA. Was suprised to win 1st, then another 1st @ South Richmond HD's Halowwen Happening the follwoing weekend. Can't say I'm really into the "show" scene ... but like the occasional plaque/trophy/gift certificate that recognizes the hard work and thought process that went into the bike.

The sissybar/luggage rack will be used infrequently at best. Only when the OL wants to ride or I plan an overnight or two and need to mount a bag. I really am trying to maintain as much of the original look of the bike as possible. Granted..it's chromed out the ass and the HP even scares me sometine, but it maintains the basic look of a Stock Dyna.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boismier said:
I... I put a Kuryakyn "Plug 'n Play" sissy bar mounting bracket on my 2002 FXDXT ... This hides the vast majority of the mounting assembly under the seat. Comes off in a sec with 2 screws. You can use any of the H-D sissy bars that fit Dynas, and any of the luggage racks that fit the sissy bar you choose.
Does it mount with screws or bolts? I'd like to be able to remove it pretty easily without having to disassemble 1/2 the bike. Loos like a good setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts